Midwest Mountain Clutch Lever

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Midwest Mountain Clutch Lever

Postby madwrench » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:06 pm

My 2 cents worth: I'm using the Midwest Mountain lever on my 300RR and like it. I'm an old guy (57) with a skeleton full of surgical hardware and a lot of joint injuries coming back to haunt me.

The reduced effort is definitely noticeable to me. It does need to be pulled to the grip for full disengagement, but that was an easy adaptation for me - easier than I had anticipated. I also like the shape and length of the lever - it just feels right.

I ride mostly tight woods single-track, so the clutch is rarely all the way in or out for more than a few seconds. I'm happy enough that I think I can put off buying a Clake for a bit. I've used auto clutches on several of my race bikes in the past, but I really prefer full and precise control, even if it makes it harder for me in some situations -- I mostly just play ride now anyway.
madwrench

Postby betajuice » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:17 pm

i'd be keen to try the beta MY16 race slave cylinder too. it's only AUD$46 (about 28 pounds maybe) and apparently makes the clutch a fair bit easier and might be a good budget option to try even before the midwest perhaps.

if it does work well, i can't see why beta doesn't put it on all their models as it is a small but consistent complaint from the many who are swinging over to beta from ktms... the clutches are a bit heavier.
betajuice

Postby katoom400 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:07 am

betajuice wrote:i'd be keen to try the beta MY16 race slave cylinder too. it's only AUD$46 (about 28 pounds maybe) and apparently makes the clutch a fair bit easier and might be a good budget option to try even before the midwest perhaps.

if it does work well, i can't see why beta doesn't put it on all their models as it is a small but consistent complaint from the many who are swinging over to beta from ktms... the clutches are a bit heavier.

How does it compare to the Clake one light clutch?
katoom400

Postby betajuice » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:04 pm

katoom400 wrote:
betajuice wrote:i'd be keen to try the beta MY16 race slave cylinder too. it's only AUD$46 (about 28 pounds maybe) and apparently makes the clutch a fair bit easier and might be a good budget option to try even before the midwest perhaps.

How does it compare to the Clake one light clutch?

i'd say on average the clake takes half as much effort as the midwest, if you screw the adjustment in to make it as light as possible. some actually find it too light and back it off a little though.
betajuice

Postby Bandicoot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Plus the biggest complaint with the Clake One when used by most is that they loose some feel.
The mistake people make is going way to light with the adjuster ... make it light enough only to stop fatigue in the hand/finger.
Going to light you will loose the feeling or weight in the lever and it will cause some riding issues, well until you get use to it I guess :lol:
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Previous

Return to Product Reviews