Beta RR430 test review

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Beta RR430 test review

Postby betajuice » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Beta RR430 test review: https://youtu.be/pXHX57u6LiA

Not a really in depth test, just spent a few hours on the 2015 RR430 at a Beta ride day and also got the impressions from an experienced enduro racer too. As a RR300 owner, I think what really impressed me was how there seems to be a consistent theme running through all the Beta models... low seat height, low centre of gravity, very nimble but lots of inline stability, very predictable power delivery. For me it all adds up to the Betas being very user-friendly bikes, and this seems to be everyone's conclusion.

The RR430 had all of these attributes and was definitely a lot of fun to ride. Trevor races on a RR300 but he was impressed at how easily he was getting the RR430 around a very slippery endurocross track with minimal effort. The only weak point he could find was the Sachs forks were a bit soft as he started to push the bike hard, but of course a rider at his level should be on the Race model with the Marzocchis... as a trail hack I found the standard Sachs forks fine for my level of riding.

Known issues? Very little, just the usual small niggling things like the pointy sidestand sinking into mud. I was a bit puzzled by Beta's choice of plastic gears for the oil pump which are scheduled for replacing at 100 hours of everyday riding although it seems they can go a long way before failing. Boano make alloy replacements, it would be interesting to know why Beta didn't make alloy ones to start with?

For my sort of riding I'll need to stick with two strokes but if for some reason I swung back across to thumpers this would be a serious contender.
Last edited by betajuice on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betajuice

Re: Beta RR430 test review

Postby Nicajohn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:39 pm

I have a '15 430 RR. I'm coming off a 2t for years. Ive only had her for 2 months and ride every chance I get. It's is really surprising how easy it is to ride. I guess now I can strip down the 2ts for a winter project.
Nicajohn

Postby betajuice » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Nicajohn wrote:I have a '15 430 RR. I'm coming off a 2t for years. Ive only had her for 2 months and ride every chance I get. It's is really surprising how easy it is to ride. I guess now I can strip down the 2ts for a winter project.

that 'so easy to ride' comment seems to be a very common one with all the betas, i think the lower seat height and very tractable engines are probably the key parts? if i did go back to four strokes then i'd be very keen on one of these.

hoping to get a a 2016 beta ride day early next year and try the whole 4T range....
betajuice

Postby ricoyam » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:11 pm

I bought a 430 RS this past year not because I ride 4Ts but because I needed a dual sport bike.

I still have my old jalopy KTM 200 EXC and if Beta were to put a 200cc trail bike on the market I'd be one of the first to check it out. I'm tempted to talk to the guys at Beta USA to see if it possible to put one together. If the cases on the trials engine are the same as the 250 RR it's a no brainer.

Anyway the 430 RS has been a remarkable bike so far. It has a great chassis, responsive, powerful engine and the lower seat height is a big plus for those of us who are slightly vertically challenged. It's the first "modern" bike I haven't had to lower to be reasonably comfortable on. I rode Chris' KTM 500 for several miles a couple of months ago and found myself waving my feet around trying to touch terra firma a few times and did a couple of flops.

4T vs 2T is not so much of a contest as it is just a small change in riding styles. I liken it to being proficient shifting with either foot and using different shift patterns and being able to ride hand shift bikes with all their variables. It's interesting when guys get all pissy about 4T vs 2T. They're different and require different styles and one is better suited to certain conditions but not really better overall.

All that said the Betas seem to all be a joy and pleasure to ride.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby GMP » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:38 am

The Beta RR and trials motors are nothing alike. Depending on your year KTM200, a Beta RR might actually be smaller.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ricoyam » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:17 am

GMP wrote:The Beta RR and trials motors are nothing alike. Depending on your year KTM200, a Beta RR might actually be smaller.

My 200 is a first year, 98 bike. It's built on the 125 chassis. That's one reason I never upgraded to a newer model. At 5'7" the smaller chassis suits me better. I still run the forks up in the yokes and more rear sag than I should.

Too bad hearing the engines are different between the RR and trials bikes. I was hoping the case castings were the same. Would have been an easy swap if the mounts lined up. Not really worth it if I have to start cutting and welding mounts and frame tubes. Easy enough to just step up to a 250.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby GMP » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:47 am

ricoyam wrote:
GMP wrote:The Beta RR and trials motors are nothing alike. Depending on your year KTM200, a Beta RR might actually be smaller.

My 200 is a first year, 98 bike. It's built on the 125 chassis. That's one reason I never upgraded to a newer model. At 5'7" the smaller chassis suits me better. I still run the forks up in the yokes and more rear sag than I should.

Too bad hearing the engines are different between the RR and trials bikes. I was hoping the case castings were the same. Would have been an easy swap if the mounts lined up. Not really worth it if I have to start cutting and welding mounts and frame tubes. Easy enough to just step up to a 250.

I had that same bike, one of the first around here to get one in Jan '98 (waited months). Great motor but vibrated bad, and horrible suspension, first WP PDS shock. Only had it a year as it totally sucked in rocks. '99 300 better but not great either, then GG linkage bikes. That 200 motor had the 39mm carb and would pull bottom to top, even lugged well, but the vibes would kill me. I'd like to see Beta build one like that in a dedicated chassis and capture that power curve but with better balance in a modern design. As far as trials motors, not sure what you have seen in the industry but none are the same or even close to a woods bike motor in size and weight. Completely different engineering prioritys.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Darkside » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:52 am

I had an 06' 200exc. put in a rekluse, what a billygoat that thing was. would climb just about anything. I'm really eyeballing the xtrainer.

But back to the 430. I'm also looking at a 430rs to replace my 450exc dualsport. So many good bikes, so little time(and money)
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby bmrev01 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:07 am

I was able to ride my Daughters X Trainer with a rekluse and it is the best climbing bike I have ridden to date. I was shocked on how it would pull any hill on our last trail ride. I was so amazed I actually started to stop and the bottoms of the steepest hills to see if I had problems...
bmrev01

Postby betajuice » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:58 pm

used to love having a rekluse auto clutch but opted out when i thought it was time to get serious about learning good clutch control and some more advanced techniques. but the old middle aged fingers are really starting to feel it so might head back to an auto clutch soon.

next year clake will probably put out a fully electronic clutch so hoping the fingers can last out till then. they reckon it will have all the good sides and none of the negatives like rolling back on steep hills if you stall. hopefully it won't be any more expensive than the rekluse....

but back to the RR430, it looks as though there could be a beta ride day next january with the whole beta 4T range which i'm keen to get to if possible. very keen to ride the 350 especially.
betajuice

Next

Return to Product Reviews