Beta MSRP is too damn high!

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Beta MSRP is too damn high!

Postby mcnut » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 am

I'll start by declaring that I love my Beta 250RR! But she can be very expensive if you ride a lot, like me.
Feel free to poke fun at me for being a cheapskate. I have big shoulders and thick skin. Aren't Beta parts prices about 2.5 times higher than they should be? Even novelty advertising items are ridiculously priced:
Yours for only $199?!

Betastool.jpg
Betastool.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 11448 times
mcnut

Re: Beta MSRP is too damn high!

Postby mcnut » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:58 am

For proper effect, you must recite the title of this thread, aloud, with the voice of the "Rent is too damn high" former New York City mayoral candidate .
mcnut

Postby GMP » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:56 am

***. :lol: :lol:

Well, I decided to edit that joke in case it hurt anyone's feelings here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by GMP on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby iamovru » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:56 am

mcnut wrote:I'll start by declaring that I love my Beta 250RR! But she can be very expensive if you ride a lot, like me.
Feel free to poke fun at me for being a cheapskate. I have big shoulders and thick skin. Aren't Beta parts prices about 2.5 times higher than they should be? Even novelty advertising items are ridiculously priced:
Yours for only $199?!

Betastool.jpg

Pretty pricey for a stool ;)
2015 Beta 300 RR Race :)
2015 350XC-F that is far from stock
2011 GasGas 300EC ( STOLEN BY A SCUM BAG!)
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500

Member-(BCORMA)
iamovru

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:34 pm

The bike isn't expensive.. you just get what you pay for.. but the stool? yea that's alot.. so do what I do. Dont buy it. ... or you could get a pack of Beta stickers from them and plaster over anything you want...

I know dealers aren't making alot off of bikes.. just enough..especially Beta.. and the cost of parts aren't that much either.. it depends on the part I guess but it hasn't been ridiculous like I fully expected when buying. Really Beta is cheaper than ktm. ..and there are tons of ktm. You could do the used way.. Don't buy new.. just buy a used one and save money.. but if you buy new you know how the bike was treated and you get the christmas opening the package fresh feel... but dirt bikes aren't cheap. .. maybe if you went the vintage dirt bike route.. that's cheap.. but in 01' when I went to buy a clutch cover gasket at the dealer for my cr 250 honda and he said $24. I said "No I only want one".. He said "That is for one". I knew it wasn't 1982 anymore. Betas are cheap. ..but if you want to save money just buy an xr200 and have a blast.. those are fun too.

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/beta-rac ... f-20?pp=12
hawaiidirtrider

Postby redbone477 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:02 pm

That must be one of those high quality Chinese made stools!
redbone477

Postby mcnut » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:20 pm

I should've been more clear. The bikes are basically the same price as all the competitors. But those parts? Yowzer!
mcnut

Postby GMP » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:49 pm

Yeah, some stuff is out of line and some is fine. It's inconsistent and makes you wonder. Their accessories are particularly high. I would like that silicone hose kit to make even more room under the tank but almost $200? Really? If I look back though, I haven't had to buy much Beta specific stuff at all for wear or damage. Plastic but that's not too bad. Besides fork conversion parts it's not been that expensive over 21/2 years of ownership. Plus, the dealer parts situation and service is excellent as I love being able to order stuff anytime of day or night. When you do buy its ouch though sometimes. :o Also, it doesn't help swing a potential buyer if he checks parts pricing. Last but not least is the value of my time, which this bike takes soooo much less of to keep up than my GGs did.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Timber » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:35 pm

hahahaha. I tried going with the good old obvious joke here and the moderator wouldn't allow. For. Stool. To. Be. Pushed. In.
Timber

Postby twowheels » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:45 pm

I make every effort to ensure the Beta ownership experience is a good one, and that includes on parts. If there are available substitutes (sometimes even the very same part at BetaUSA sells) I will go as far as setting up a commercial account and buying required minimums in order to pass on the savings. That's why suspension springs are $100/end from us, and not the $135-140 Beta lists on the website. In other cases the Beta-branded part is the only way to get what's needed, as was the case with the Marzocchi fork rebuild kits. Countless hours were spent trying to get them elsewhere, including discussions with Tenneco in both the US and Italy, but to no avail. Similarly I am pursuing a relationship with the Sachs Racing group that's just down the road in an effort to source those parts.

Many of the parts that we sell are Beta OE parts though, because until we have them here we can't measure them up or check dimensions in order to even source an equivalent or superior substitute. If a guy calls or texts in a hurry and the OE part is what is on the shelves, that's what gets shipped (the first time). The next Viton exhaust pipe spigot o-rings that ship will be plain old black and not sexy green, but they will be about half of the OE price. Anyone that has dealt with us knows that shipping often takes place within a handful of hours, and for repeat customers often before payment has been requested or received.

As to OE pricing, Beta's production volume likely doesn't hit five figures for all models, and many fewer for individual models, so if a part is unique to our favorite Italian brand, there's no way it will be available at Honda pricing. That being said, our shop in particular, and a number of others in general, stock much more in the way of off-road specific parts than the typical 16 line big-box store does. You're also much more likely to get personal assistance or even hand delivered parts than elsewhere too, even though that has nothing to do with the price of Beta parts.

So what to do at the end of the day? Enjoy your bike, ride it often, be glad the initial build quality is very good, and send me a PM or text when you need something and we'll hook you up.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Next

Return to Product Reviews