Beta MSRP is too damn high!

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Beta MSRP is too damn high!

Postby Survivor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:38 am

twowheels wrote:I make every effort to ensure the Beta ownership experience is a good one, and that includes on parts. If there are available substitutes (sometimes even the very same part at BetaUSA sells) I will go as far as setting up a commercial account and buying required minimums in order to pass on the savings. That's why suspension springs are $100/end from us, and not the $135-140 Beta lists on the website. In other cases the Beta-branded part is the only way to get what's needed, as was the case with the Marzocchi fork rebuild kits. Countless hours were spent trying to get them elsewhere, including discussions with Tenneco in both the US and Italy, but to no avail. Similarly I am pursuing a relationship with the Sachs Racing group that's just down the road in an effort to source those parts.

Many of the parts that we sell are Beta OE parts though, because until we have them here we can't measure them up or check dimensions in order to even source an equivalent or superior substitute. If a guy calls or texts in a hurry and the OE part is what is on the shelves, that's what gets shipped (the first time). The next Viton exhaust pipe spigot o-rings that ship will be plain old black and not sexy green, but they will be about half of the OE price. Anyone that has dealt with us knows that shipping often takes place within a handful of hours, and for repeat customers often before payment has been requested or received.

As to OE pricing, Beta's production volume likely doesn't hit five figures for all models, and many fewer for individual models, so if a part is unique to our favorite Italian brand, there's no way it will be available at Honda pricing. That being said, our shop in particular, and a number of others in general, stock much more in the way of off-road specific parts than the typical 16 line big-box store does. You're also much more likely to get personal assistance or even hand delivered parts than elsewhere too, even though that has nothing to do with the price of Beta parts.

So what to do at the end of the day? Enjoy your bike, ride it often, be glad the initial build quality is very good, and send me a PM or text when you need something and we'll hook you up.

Steve,
After my experience with you, I can honestly say: YOUR SERVICE IS GREAT AND THE PRICE AND DELIVERY WILL MAKE ME GO BACK TO YOU ANYTIME I NEED SOMETHING FOR MY PRECIOUS X TRAINER!
Survivor

Postby mcnut » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:39 am

I realize the dealer can't set the prices but who buys $40 grips?! That's only one example of the many parts/accessory items that are priced out of this world.
mcnut

Postby mcnut » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:18 am

$40 divided by 2.5 is $16. The grips I buy & like are $10, full retail.
mcnut

Postby GMP » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:32 am

Thats just it, probably no one buys them, but they still exist in the BetaUSA catalog online for all to see and give a false impression that the bike must be like owning an off road Ducati. All that consumable stuff you get locally or online cheap anyway and wouldn't think of ordering it from Beta. Sales don't seem to be a problem with current production numbers though.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby NZMarkb » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:51 am

Well said TwoWheels
If you don't like your parts cost try living at this end of the world
I thought they were reasonable :?
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:36 am

mcnut wrote:I realize the dealer can't set the prices but who buys $40 grips?! That's only one example of the many parts/accessory items that are priced out of this world.

who cares? No one buys oem grips anyway..I sure don't want domino grips.. and the other parts are the same as honda or other brands.. or real close... I really haven't found Beta to be that expensive compared to other brands.. I found that to be true from my first 09 Beta.. It's one of the reasons I bought Beta too.. I thought the prices would be ridiculous so I liked getting the rfs motored Beta first... then the other chassis parts were just like any other brand.. now with my 300rr it's similar enough to buying stuff for my Honda.. and there are more crossover parts .. and more aftermarket since Beta has become more popular. I mean for example I got a ktm stock pipe flatland pipe guard for something like $110 shipped... and it fits perfect.. and really my Beta doesn't really need much.. just the regular stuff.. guards.. etc.. same as other bikes..
hawaiidirtrider

Postby mcnut » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:01 am

if you live in New Zealand or Hawaii, you pay too much for everything so I guess it's all relative.
mcnut

Postby Knox Enduro » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:13 pm

It looks to me like as soon as an aftermarket supply appears for a particular part, Beta then lowers their part a little. As more aftermarket items appear, they will half to lower their prices or they won't sell much. BTW, red and black Domino grips are available through Parts Unlimited for a lot less.
Knox Enduro

Postby NZMarkb » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:19 pm

mcnut wrote:if you live in New Zealand or Hawaii, you pay too much for everything so I guess it's all relative.

Yer your on the money about us paying too much for anything but Beta parts are fair compared to pumpkin parts and a lot more available than GasGas parts and cheaper too
Merry Christmas everyone
8-) 8-) 8-)
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby ricoyam » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:51 am

Knox Enduro wrote:It looks to me like as soon as an aftermarket supply appears for a particular part, Beta then lowers their part a little. As more aftermarket items appear, they will half to lower their prices or they won't sell much. BTW, red and black Domino grips are available through Parts Unlimited for a lot less.

Parts Unlimited doesn't sell to the end user. Most will need to buy through their local dealer. I have a friend who's a PU rep and he won't even sell to me.
I prefer ProGrips. I use the duo compound in grey/black simply because I keep at least one set on my shelf and that color combo will work on all my bikes.

As far as parts prices go I just look at it as the price of admission. When you work on the stuff that I do there's not much that surprises me in the price category. I was going through a catalogue yesterday and a complete rear hub for a 1915 Harley is available for $4500. If you need one you are just grateful one is available. I had to do timing gears on a 1929 Henderson and the parts were over $300 just fo a pair of gears and a gasket. Some things aren't too bad like a pair of repop grips for $40, a pair of water slide decals I think were $50.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews