Shinko Hybrid Cheater

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Shinko Hybrid Cheater

Postby Knox Enduro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 am

I got the new tire mounted and went on a club trail work day last weekend. Not a real test, but so far, so good. It did not hook up as good as the new Michelin Starcross 5 in the pure mud, but it did pretty well and climbed up some rutted, muddy, rocky hills no problem. We also encountered 2-3" of snow as we got higher on the mountain and it didn't phase it. It seems to have a clawing action like a trials tire which is a good thing. At one point I started up a snow covered bank with not enough momentum and I temporarily lost traction, then it like grabbed and clawed its way up. The knobs are so soft I was afraid it would wear down like a Golden Tyre, and granted, we were doing trail work so we only rode 10 miles, but it doesn't show any wear and we were in a lot rock transfer sections.
I went with the 120-18 size, it is more rounded than a trials tire or a Equilibrium, and it is not so much wider than a 110, but it is tall. Rubber is very soft, but it is thick, making it tough, but it is also a little heavy.
I think it is going to make a good tire for hard enduro, not sure yet for hare scramble type racing, just because I have not tried it at speed.
We have a semi hard enduro loop close to the shop, hope to get over there soon and give it a try, will keep you updated.

In catalogs it is listed as the 505 Hybrid Cheater, but on the tire it says 505 sticky.
Attachments
DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG (361.89 KiB) Viewed 17846 times
Knox Enduro

Re: Shinko Hybrid Cheater

Postby Knox Enduro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:19 am

I will also add that the knobs on the 120 are bigger and maybe wider spaced than the 110.
Knox Enduro

Postby GMP » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:27 am

Gary I want to try one, sounds perfect for what I ride most. None around here. If you are stocking these please PM me price and shipping to 07438, thanks.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes, I have them in stock, I will get with you later.
Knox Enduro

Postby JUCO » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:28 pm

I picked one of these up from Knox Enduro today and took it out for a test ride. I really like it over the stock tire. It hooks up really well and has better feel and grip compared to stock. The dirt here in East TN is still pretty wet but the tire never broke free in the short test. Looks like it going to be a great tire.

JUCO
JUCO

Postby GMP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:12 pm

I promised Gary (Knoxenduro) a review on the Shinko 505 hybrid in my terrain and I finally had the chance to mount and ride it so here goes. I got the 120, it sat for a long time and looked a little large and felt heavy but man is it tall when mounted, looks too tall and almost gets into the mudflap. Taller than a TT. I run Tubliss and the tire mounted and sealed easily first time, no issues. Its super sticky with a thick but medium sidewall, so fine with a tube as well. Started @ 7.5 PSI. Before I get anywhere with dirt, I have a long rocky climb with switchbacks and several large smooth slabs. This tire is like a D803 TT on rocks, its amazing. Better than the MT43 TT. I had to be carefull as the bike wanted to wheelie with total hookup. Once in the dirt the bike was almost oversteering. I dropped the preload(easy with my XTrig, thanks Steve!) for approx 105 mm sag to make up for the tall tire and it was fine with the added bonus of a plusher ride. On perfect dirt sections, it hooks up great, and while it will release quicker than a knobby, its very linear unlike a TT or a Sedona(unpredictable) that it replaced. Braking is fine. On some steep dirt/rock hills it was incredible, I could stop/start at will. Some short mud sections proved no issue, but no loose muddy hills to test on. Wet, muddy rocks in low sections seemed dry. Only drawback was a loose, sandy/gravel powerline hill, where it would spin up under the power of the 300 if I got too happy, and on some leaves. On my favorite ST littered with large rocks and skinned logs it was awesome and with the tall sidewall I could hit anything hard without fear. With the short stiff sidewall Sedona I added two small dings to my rear rim on these trails. I ended up riding longer than I planned because the tire worked so well, and I never even played with pressure.

So, for me, this is the best tire yet for my local trail, but this is a very rough place that destroys normal knobbys. I think I bought my last TT, and last Sedona as well. My brother ran a 505 with a tube and two rimlocks and it was fine unlike a Sedona or AT81RC that needs Tubliss. He also looped his 300RR from hookup he didn't expect! Its like a TT with more cornering scope, better braking, and MUCH more durable sidewall. I think it will last OK if you ride it more like a TT and don't spin it up constantly. I have a feeling it will still work well when worn, at least on rock, because its so sticky. Its way cheaper than the Golden Tire my buddy destroyed in a single ride too. I would still run an MT16 in a race if it was more dirt than rock but there are a couple courses in PA I would run this tire without question. Maybe not a tire for general use, but certainly an excellent technical rock tire.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby redrider » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Good review Glenn. I was thinking or trying out the AT81RC with tubliss for the tech trails in western va, but am now wondering if the Shinko might be a better option. Thoughts on a direct comparison between the two?

I'm not interested too much in altering my sag to support a tire, so I'll probably go with the AT81RC first.
redrider

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:11 pm

better than my favorite tire of all time (d803)? damn you Glen, now I gotta try one!
katoom400

Postby redrider » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I got the 120 505 shinko and tested it on wet rocky and semi muddy to tacky conditions in southwest va this past weekend and I have to say the tire is pretty special. Not great in the wet muddy hill climbs but where ever it was starting to tack up it was as good as my MT16. I run tubliss and ran the shinko at 5lbs. In the rocks wet or dry it was simply great. The only thing I didn't like about the tire was the weight. Holding it feels heavier than a MT16 (120) with a heavy duty tube stuffed inside. Heavy enough I could feel the difference when accelerating.

I'd like to know how much lighter the 110 is than the 120 and if it performs similarly. Pictures show the 110 with smaller knobs which was why I got the 120. The MT16 110 has smaller knobs than the MT16 120 and does not work as well IMO which influenced my decision to buy the 120 shinko.

The race the next morning called for rain so I stuck with the MT16. Then it didn't rain. Well, while I like the traction of the shinko I don't like the weight, but I'll probably buy a 110 in hopes performs similarly at a more normal tire weight.

Anyone who's tried both please chime it.
redrider

Return to Product Reviews