Twisted Engineering's Composi-flex handlebars review

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Twisted Engineering's Composi-flex handlebars review

Postby betajuice » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:49 pm

a while back i fitted faastco's flexx bars to my beta RR300 which worked a treat on some issues with carpal tunnel, armp pump, a bit of arthritis etc. heaps of guys asked me how did they compare to twisted Engineering's Composi-flex handlebars... so i put the flexx bars on the DR650 and got some TE bars for the beta RR300. i know there are quite a few posts about both types of bars already but just throwing another opinion into the mix.

Twisted Engineering's Composi-flex handlebars video review: https://youtu.be/5TDvyiZfr0c

the TE bars come in a range of bends and also degrees of flexibility, i opted for the low ktm bend to get minimal sweep, and went with the most flexible option as most of our riding is relatively slow. i assume motocross or extremely fast aggressive riders might opt for the stiffer versions.

because the bars flex, it's not a good idea to use standard barkbusters so I made sure the bars came with twisted engineering's own guards. no really big drops on the bike yet, but they certainly look tough and were very reasonably priced as part of the full package deal.

the first thing I noticed is you don't really notice them. even with the softest 3x option, you simply don't feel the flex unless you are really looking for it over some sharp bumps. the website claims the bars will absorb impacts, shock and vibration.i'd definitely agree on the first two, but the beta doesn't really vibrate so can't comment there. but there are plenty of user reviews where guys say their bars have reduced the buzzy bar syndrome on their bikes.

personally i would like to see even more flex, possibly a 4x version (which TE are considering) because our riding is quite slow and technical. i had the flexx bars adjusted to the softest possible position which worked a treat. while the TE bars were definitely still flexing and helping a lot, i thought they could be a bit softer. HOWEVER, i strongly suspect the 3X option will be perfect for most dirt riders because they'll be riding harder and faster than we do.

advantages of the TE bars? they weigh the same as an alloy bar, but half the weight of flexx bars which the weight-conscious rider will like.
they flex in all directions. i didn't really notice this with our style of riding, but could clearly see the advantages of this if riding whoops and coping with the various body positions involved with faster aggressive riding.
because the TE bars are like 'normal' bars you won't have any issues with fitting mounts for a gps or smart phone, or aftermarket parts like a clake clutch. the unusual design of the flexs bars can cause issues here.

my very first concern with these bars was would they be dangerous if they broke? Carbon fibre can turn into a scalpel when broken, but the composite materials used just turn into a pulp that would be safer than the broken edge on alloy bars.

the bars are expensive, but I tend to see this more as an investment than a cost, as you can transfer these from biketo bike over the years. if you've still got any upper body problems despite good bike setup and riding technique, these bars are well worth looking at.

one thing i must stress, i think it makes sense to look at other possible solutions first before buying a set of flexible bars. e.g. i worked through a pile of things for my arm pump, carpal tunnel and arthritis fist. these things helped a lot, but fitting flexible bars was part of the final solution.

if you buy flexible bars before trying other things first i think you may be putting the cart before the horse! this is just my personal opinion, but worth thinking about...

betajuice

Re: Twisted Engineering's Composi-flex handlebars review

Postby Gazza » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Once again a comprehensive and interesting review. One question if I could. Where are they available in Australia?
Gazza

Postby betajuice » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:58 pm

i don't think they have a distributor here gazza, i ordered direct from their website: https://twistedengineering.com/
betajuice

Postby Gazza » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Thanks mate.
Gazza

Return to Product Reviews