G2 Throttle Tamer

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

G2 Throttle Tamer

Postby betajuice » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm

G2 THROTTLE TAMER FOR TWO STROKES (RR300) video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqIWLDbwSE

G2 THROTTLE TAMER FOR FOUR STROKES (RR480) video review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riaHDHMX0Q

There's also an existing thread on this forum where guys have been discussing the Throttle Tamer:
http://www.betarider.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1127

Everyone knows throttle control is a key aspect of dirt riding and whenever we've covered this in our training vids there are always a few guys who say they have the G2 Throttle Tamer and we have to try it.

So the past few months I've had the G2 throttle tamer on the RR300. First up, it's made in the USA, and it's not expensive at US$70. And as with most things from the States, it comes with great instructions. Easy to fit, RR300 was ready to go in around five minutes.

Here is what G2 Ergnomics say on their website:
"The Throttle Tamer incorporates a non-linear ratio between hand throttle rotation and carburetor or throttle body opening. The “pulley”, or as we call it, “cam” pulls the throttle cable as the rider rotates the grip/tube. By altering the conventional, circular shaped cam, a vast improvement in control is achieved. The Throttle Tamer has a cam with a reduced radius initially, which requires a slightly farther rotation to achieve the same carburetor or throttle body opening position as a stock throttle. This slightly longer pull makes a HUGE difference in control as the power is rolled on and the rider searches for traction. The radius increases or “ramps up” after ½ throttle to keep overall rotation requires to reach full throttle at or near stock rotation."

G2 make all sorts of throttle setups, but the idea behind the throttle tamer is that the throttle comes on slower at first, and then faster after you've reached half throttle. In effect, it is actually taming the throttle at lower revs which gives you more control.

Does it work? Definitely. In our slower technical style of riding it does give more control at smaller throttle openings, which means more traction, more control over the bike, and a bit less wear and tear on the upper body. And of course once you are going faster then precise throttle amounts become less of an issue so it really is a great setup with no drawbacks that I could find?

So who should look at the G2 throttle tamer? I figure this would be anyone who regularly finds themselves thinking damnit, I gave it too much or too little throttle in a tricky section. I think this would particularly apply to:
- beginner riders on any bike
- riders fairly new to dirt riding
- any bike with snatchy throttle response.

Like many, one thing I like about the Beta RR300 is the user-friendly way the lowdown power rolls on, but the G2 Throttle Tamer just provided even more of a good thing. But I think anyone who finds the KTM 300's throttle response too snappy would love this Throttle Tamer.

Big fuel injected four strokes should all have a G2 fitted, in my opinion. I remember having lots of issues with the FE570 in slower terrain and this Throttle Tamer would have worked brilliantly.

The other no brainer would be converting a motocross bike to an enduro or woods bike, something that apparently is quite common in the US.
The G2 Throttle Tamer would be a very cost effective way to soften that initial throttle response.
Last edited by betajuice on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betajuice

Re: G2 Throttle Tamer

Postby wasatchcomm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:23 am

which one for the trainer , on the g2 site it does not sho the beta as a option in the drop down menu
any one know which model will work?

i want the 400 cam for my trainer for my wife
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby betajuice » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 am

i had the same issue and they just said they would send out the right one, unfortunately i don't know which model it was...
betajuice

Postby Gazza » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:32 pm

I've had a G2 Tamer on my X Trainer now for about 6 months. Not totally sure but I think I ordered from the drop down.Make, KTM. Model 2stroke 85-300, Year (99-16). If in doubt contact G2. I went with a 300 cam and a light carby spring and the power delivery is super smooooooth.
Gazza

Postby SD_EXr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Bought mine on the Betausa website.
SD_EXr

Postby wasatchcomm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

g2 finally got back to me

it is the ktm
85-300 2stroke 99-16

thanks guys
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby betajuice » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:04 pm

a quick review of the G2 throttle tamer on the RR480. as per the first post i had one on the RR300 already but it had such a smooth throttle response off idle that the G2 only had a mild effect. but it's been brilliant on the RR480 which does have some of that instant 'snap' which big fuel injected thumpers are known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riaHDHMX0Q
betajuice

Postby Cruiser » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Anybody try one on the 350rr? Worth using? I only have 22 miles on my 350 so far. Hard to imagine it being easier to ride.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Return to Product Reviews