Stillwell suspension revalve n setup

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Stillwell suspension revalve n setup

Postby ballisticexchris » Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 pm

How are you sending your suspension out to the tuner? Why not send them out in a gun case and have them returned in the same case? I personally would never trust my suspension across the country in a cardboard box. Too bad you had a bad experience with not only shipping but the valving as well. Looks like you will have to send them back and forth a few times to get it right.

It's one of the reasons I use local tuners or tuners that actually ride the same stuff I do :mrgreen:
ballisticexchris

Postby Lonesome Dave » Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 am

When I shipped my suspension (Pro-tune, Cory) I put it in a gun case and then in a fitted box. Making the box was a PIA, but no problems.
The other great thing about Pro-tune, I gave him the dimensions of the box and weight, he emailed me a shipping tag. His shipping rates are much less than most of us would ever get. When I paid him, both shipping directions were on the same bill.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Clearvu1 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:08 am

sasrocks wrote:got mine done by Stillwell and it is much improve (stock was not very good) but still not where I would expect it - to the level of other suspensions I've had completely redone.

I will be taking out fork comp and shock HS comp (4 clicks) to tro to improve things next time out.

I am 195 w/o gear C vet in woods/HS riding on a 16 250RR. Here are the settings from still well

Springs might be ok but 100mm oil height seems pretty high and 110mm sag might be fine on a KTM but is too much on a Beta. You might try going to 125 mm oil height and 100mm sag. I run my forks on the second line and it turns well while still being stable at speed. Rode a buddies KTM 300XC last weekend and got headshake on ground my beta just cruised over.
Clearvu1

Postby sasrocks » Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Clearvu1 wrote:
sasrocks wrote:got mine done by Stillwell and it is much improve (stock was not very good) but still not where I would expect it - to the level of other suspensions I've had completely redone.

I will be taking out fork comp and shock HS comp (4 clicks) to tro to improve things next time out.

I am 195 w/o gear C vet in woods/HS riding on a 16 250RR. Here are the settings from still well

Springs might be ok but 100mm oil height seems pretty high and 110mm sag might be fine on a KTM but is too much on a Beta. You might try going to 125 mm oil height and 100mm sag. I run my forks on the second line and it turns well while still being stable at speed. Rode a buddies KTM 300XC last weekend and got headshake on ground my beta just cruised over.

thanks for the input. I think these things ride nose high so will reduce rear sag and drop the forks a line. remind me again what taking oil out will do? more air = more cushion because fluid does not compress IIRC?
sasrocks

Postby Jakobi » Tue May 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Get back in touch with the tuner and have them sort this out for you.

They've written 6.2 rate shock spring, but the numbers don't add up. Everyone here is of the opinion that a 6.2kg/mm would be too stiff for purpose, however if the spring was too stiff you'd expect to see excessive static sag figures coupled with small race sag. You have stated on the contrary though, that at 110mm race you are getting 26mm static. If you wound on enough preload to bring your race back to 100mm your static will only get smaller as well. Ideally you want a spring that gives 105-95mm race sag and between 25-35mm static.

Possibly the wrong sticker, or a simple mistake. These things happen, and should be resolvable.
Jakobi

Postby twowheels » Tue May 03, 2016 5:27 pm

sasrocks wrote:
Clearvu1 wrote:

thanks for the input. I think these things ride nose high so will reduce rear sag and drop the forks a line. remind me again what taking oil out will do? more air = more cushion because fluid does not compress IIRC?

Lower oil height (eg 135 instead of 125) will result in more dive and less resistance nearing the end of stroke (ie more likely to bottom). If you're not bottoming your fork now taking oil out is one method to make it plusher. Dont' trust the unswept leg measurement from the lug either . put an o-ring or lightly tie a plastic zip-tie around one fork leg and see how much stroke you're using (from fully extended).
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Lonesome Dave » Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 pm

My 2 cents; If you start changing things that the tuner did or said he did based on the sticker information. You will have nothing but problems with them. They'll cry foul and everything you tried up to this point will have caused all the problems at least in their opinion. Call them, let them tell you what to do. LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Ctkny » Tue May 03, 2016 7:18 pm

As I now. I have been in contact with SP and as Kevin says there testing shows the rate chart from beta isn't prefect and my spring is correct due to there testing. I was also told my sicker has the wrong comp numbers on it. I need to add four clicks to increase the compression to even out the feel of the bike. Sag setting must be be 110 standing and the 26 don't sound right.

Will post again after I try setting sag again while standing
Ctkny

Postby Hammer » Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 am

I'm no expert but can someone explain to me how a bike with less than 300mm of travel should have 110mm of sag. Just makes no sense to me on a bike that is front light to begin with.
Hammer

Postby Clearvu1 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:06 am

Hammer wrote:I'm no expert but can someone explain to me how a bike with less than 300mm of travel should have 110mm of sag. Just makes no sense to me on a bike that is front light to begin with.

I am in full agreement. I have the 250RR MY2016 and have tried 110mm sag, 105mm sag and 100mm sag. IMHO 110mm is too much, 105mm is too much, 100mm makes the bike work properly. Anything over 100mm and the bike just doesn't provide front end feel or turning that is suitable to the bikes abilities.
Clearvu1

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews