2016 Beta 300rr issues | problems | mods

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

2016 Beta 300rr issues | problems | mods

Postby merlin » Thu May 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm adding this topic to document the issues I've found and mods I've made to my 2016 Beta 300rr.

Partially because I want to make it easy for others to google "2016 Beta 300rr issues" and actually find some. When I was doing my pre purchase googling, I found a few things, but never discovered the coolant leak for example...and wouldn't have, unless I actually knew it was and issue.

Please ask if you have any questions about anything below and I'd be happy to (try and) help! :D

So here goes!

ISSUES/PROBLEMS
1) Coolant leak - seems to be either a faulty thermostat or leaking head o-rings that let excess pressure from the cylinder in to the cooling system (fix - warranty replacement thermostat (I was informed by the dealer that the thermostat was a 2015 part number))
2) Clutch slave cylinder rubber boot torn from factory - was squashed between the case and the slave and tore the boot (fix - warranty replacement)
3) Clutch slave cylinder to case gasket torn from factory (fix - warranty replacement)
4) Rear brake clevis to break arm slop - approx 1mm gap that creates a great deal of play at the tip of the lever. (fix - I put a very thin shim of alu that seems to have taken up about 90% of the play)
5) Brake hose rubs off the anodising on the left fork leg (fix - just loosen the clamp and position so that it doesn't contact)
6) Float was high and dribbling fuel when on side stand (fix - lower float height)
7) Rear mud flap rubbing on swing arm (fix - I heated mine, bent it to shape and let cool. Holding up really well)
8) Fork guards biting into the fork protector rings (fix - I heated and bent them away from the forks slightly, as well as rounding off the edges to help prevent it from biting in so much. I also added a couple LARGE cable ties as a wear surface)
9) Paint is easy to scuff/chip off and is particularly susceptible to solvents (eg. petrol)
10) Brittle plastics. Just buy Polisport - it's identical and flexible as fbeepk!
11) water can make it's way inside the frame and then just sit in the bottom tubes. I've considered drilling a small drain hole...but probably shouldn't do that. Perhaps I just need to do more wheelies? :)
12) Speedo allowing water inside - not sure how or why, but I got a new warranty replacement and it's now 100%
13) ....watch this space!

(I'll add more if I come across em).

MODS
1) P3 Carbon fiber pipe guard - great bit of kit! Has susstained a few wacks, and def doesn't look new any more, but seems to be doing it's job. Will be getting a P-Tech guard shortly to maximise protection in the rocks and prevent damage to the pipe/frame. UPDATE - I will never use one of these again. Yes it helps prevent dents, but it just transfers the force to the shoulder of the pipe and radically deforms it.
2)Bark Buster Ego hand guards
3) Obie Link Guard - not seen much action, but seems to be a very cool and simple solution
4) Enduro Engineering rear brake fin
5) NECJ needle - smooth as!
6) Custom headlight and engine mapping switches - I removed the switch block and replaced it with a KTM style kill switch. That prevents use of the head light, so I made up a three position toggle switch for running|Low|high beam. The engine map switch is a simple two position toggle that opens and closes the circuit to ground.
7) Kriega tugger straps (front and rear)
8) TUbliss (front and rear) - best thing ever! :D
9) Carb tooless idle | mixture screw
10) New model P-Tech Guard
11) Mid West Lever
12) Clive Owen washer clutch spring mod
13) Larger clutch slave cylinder
14) Setgz Pegz
15) Seat Concepts lower seat

16) ....watch this space :)

I'm sure I'll be modding the bike more....so will add em as it goes
Attachments
first ride ahead.jpg
first ride ahead.jpg (215.88 KiB) Viewed 19118 times
fresh out of the crate.jpg
fresh out of the crate.jpg (276.12 KiB) Viewed 19119 times
at the beach.jpg
at the beach.jpg (118.25 KiB) Viewed 19119 times
coolant_leak_01.jpg
coolant_leak_01.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 19119 times
clutch_slave_boot_torn.jpg
clutch_slave_boot_torn.jpg (132.4 KiB) Viewed 19119 times
Last edited by merlin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
merlin

Re: 2016 Beta 300rr issues | problems | mods

Postby merlin » Thu May 12, 2016 9:57 pm

Carb tooless idle | mixture screw - makes it soooo much easier to adjust
carb_dials.jpg
carb_dials.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 19116 times

I find a strap is just easier to use in the bush
back_tugger.jpg
back_tugger.jpg (48.71 KiB) Viewed 19116 times

back_tugger_detail.jpg
back_tugger_detail.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 19116 times

Seems really solid!
rear_brake_fin.jpg
rear_brake_fin.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 19116 times

Switch on the left is the light switch. The one on the right is the ignition mapping switch
custom_switches.jpg
custom_switches.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 19116 times
merlin

Postby ballisticexchris » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 am

That 300 is setup really nice!!

The Kriega products are awesome!! For the Back I use a soft strap extension for tie downs (idea from another member).

ballisticexchris

Postby freebird_78 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:55 am

Just recently picked up Slaven's carb screws too. I used a Sharpie paint pen (red of course) to mark one of the flats to keep adjustments easier to see. Marked one side of the slot on the air screw the same way. Also do that on the swingarm chain adjuster bolts to keep track on the number of flats turned in and out.

Replaced every piece of carb vent and tank vent with Tygon fuel tubing and added a QD between the tank and carb. Stuff just works a lot better over time than the PVC tubing that gets brittle and cracks.
freebird_78

Postby Johnno » Fri May 13, 2016 8:29 pm

I just did the float level. I want to go to Italy and find the guy who routes the overflow hoses in knots around the oil line and squarely kick him in the nuts.

I got a piece of fuel hose and fitted it to the carb while it was in my hand and blew in it to test that gas could still get in after I adjusted the level.

I put it back together, I really took my time with all this so I could take it all in, I have to say it's not hard to work on.

I started the bike, it's running pretty sad, barely idle, it's really bogging badly with gentle blips of the throttle. What have I done?? If the float was bad it would cut out? No?

Remove exhaust butt plug, oh that's better... :?
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Silverfox » Sat May 14, 2016 1:13 am

Also check the oil line into the manifold, Mine weeps, Put a cable tie around it which helps, but think tie wire might be the go
Silverfox

Postby merlin » Sun May 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks man. Yeah, she's saaaweeeet!! :)

And yeah, dude. Kriega is great. I run the Hydro 3 + R8 when I'm out for the day, and it's perfect.

It took a while to finally figure out how the rear tugger was going to install. I gave the integrated grips a go, but am really glad to have it on there now.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ballisticexchris wrote:That 300 is setup really nice!!

The Kriega products are awesome!! For the Back I use a soft strap extension for tie downs (idea from another member).

merlin

Postby merlin » Sun May 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Hahah! Good work!! Happens to the best of us.

The idea of blowing into the fuel intake is genius!

I find removing the carb us stupidly difficult. My KTM 200 just popped out, and would rotate enough to be able to access the bottom drain nut (idle/main jets) and the slide/needle jet without having to take it off the bike. Have you got any tips?

Johnno wrote:I just did the float level. I want to go to Italy and find the guy who routes the overflow hoses in knots around the oil line and squarely kick him in the nuts.

I got a piece of fuel hose and fitted it to the carb while it was in my hand and blew in it to test that gas could still get in after I adjusted the level.

I put it back together, I really took my time with all this so I could take it all in, I have to say it's not hard to work on.

I started the bike, it's running pretty sad, barely idle, it's really bogging badly with gentle blips of the throttle. What have I done?? If the float was bad it would cut out? No?

Remove exhaust butt plug, oh that's better... :?
merlin

Postby merlin » Sun May 15, 2016 5:03 pm

Mines good. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it.

Silverfox wrote:Also check the oil line into the manifold, Mine weeps, Put a cable tie around it which helps, but think tie wire might be the go
merlin

Postby Johnno » Mon May 16, 2016 12:18 am

I am just too cack handed to attempt carb on bike jet adjustment.

It would never end well. I found lifting the rear sub frame up to be the key ingredient to success that everyone says it is.

I had the bike on a stand so I popped it into first and supported the sub frame with a piece of timber with one end against a tyre knob, with the expansion chamber removed obviously.

If you are old, crippled and blind like me a hydraulic bike stand that lifts the bike up to the required height is invaluable.

I was able to be seated with the carb right in front of me at the perfect height.

It doesn't have to be one of those space robbing full length platform bike lifts, just the smaller one.

A word to the wise, if you have the bike full height so the foot pegs are level with your nipples and decide to remove the front wheel, be ready to grab the fork leg to stop it flipping arse over backwards.

Ask me how I know...
Loose...
Johnno

Next

Return to Product Reviews