2016 Beta 300rr issues | problems | mods

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: 2016 Beta 300rr issues | problems | mods

Postby merlin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 pm

I realised too late that the brake line was rubbing on my fork leg outer. The metal ring is seemingly made of VERY soft alloy and doesn't stand up to any abuse at all, so I decided to wrap the chunkiest cable/zip ties I could find round the base of the leg.

fork scuffed.JPG
fork scuffed.JPG (118.02 KiB) Viewed 12981 times

fork protection.JPG
fork protection.JPG (98.86 KiB) Viewed 12981 times
merlin

Postby merlin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm

I came up with this idea to help prevent scuffing caused by the throttle cable

throttle cable seperation.JPG
throttle cable seperation.JPG (99.22 KiB) Viewed 12981 times
merlin

Postby Johnno » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 am

I tightened the clamps on my rad hoses a little bit and since I stopped topping the rad to the top it doesn't leak at all.

I do have some sexy red silicone hoses to go on but I may wait a bit to fit them. Maybe if I buy a red Slaven's head...
Loose...
Johnno

Postby merlin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:35 pm

2016 Beta 300rr - Radiator Leaking Still

Tiny update (latest in bold)

Here are the steps I've taken and plan to take:

1) replaced hose clamps
2) tightened down housing screws
3) replaced thermostat under warranty with a '15 part number (made it better, but I still find a little puddle of coolant on the floor)
4) I have a new set of head o-rings that I still need to try. But the coolant doesn't smell like exhaust or have any combustion contaminants in it...I'll probably still replace them to rule that out. Just need to get round to it).
5) the beta dealer is going to send me a thicker O-ring for the thermostat housing and some gasket maker to seal it up good and proper.
6) if all the above fails, I'm just going to biff the thermostat all together and purchase a bypass hose kit.
merlin

Postby merlin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:45 pm

I've also found that the water drainage holes in the bottom of the frame are not at the lowest part, so if water gets in, it has no way of getting out, unless you raise the front end a bit.... (wheelies? Shame I can't do em!)

I found this issue after seeing little dried up speckly rust puddles on the deck of my ute after transporting the bike. Obviously, the motion of the car displaced the water enough to allow it to reach the holes and partially drain. It CAN'T be good for the frame having water just sitting in there rusting it from the inside out. I'm thinking of drilling a couple extra 3mm holes in the lower parts of the frame to allow the water to properly escape.

Anyone else had this experience?

I am finding that there are sooooo many stupid engineering choices like this on these bikes...I'm really surprised.
merlin

Postby merlin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Coolant leak update

I replaced the head o-rings as well as putting a slightly thicker one in the thermostat assembly.

It seems that either one of those fixed the problem....I wish I had had the patience to test them one at a time, as now I'll never know which actually fixed the issue :)

But, fixed is fixed!
merlin

Postby merlin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Obie Link Guard
http://www.obielinkguard.com/

I bought it for the stock bash guard, and then upgraded to this pipe/bash plate combo.
bashPlate_pipeGuard_05.JPG
bashPlate_pipeGuard_05.JPG (139.73 KiB) Viewed 12777 times

It didn't fit, so I drilled and tapped a couple holes in the alu bash plate as well as a couple of counter sunk holes in the Obie plate
obieLinkGuard.JPG
obieLinkGuard.JPG (103.63 KiB) Viewed 12777 times

Now it's really easy to remove/install the pipe guard/bash plate combo without having to fiddle with and line up the Obie.

It works well, and seems to handle the beats, as it's not showing any signs of damage at all on the underside
merlin

Postby westsurfmark » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 am

Johnno wrote:I just did the float level. I want to go to Italy and find the guy who routes the overflow hoses in knots around the oil line and squarely kick him in the nuts.

I got a piece of fuel hose and fitted it to the carb while it was in my hand and blew in it to test that gas could still get in after I adjusted the level.

I put it back together, I really took my time with all this so I could take it all in, I have to say it's not hard to work on.

I started the bike, it's running pretty sad, barely idle, it's really bogging badly with gentle blips of the throttle. What have I done?? If the float was bad it would cut out? No?

Remove exhaust butt plug, oh that's better... :?

hAHAH , I have don that before sitting on the bike wondering why it was blubbering
westsurfmark

Postby SamanBN » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 pm

This should prevent seized or corroded chain adjuster bolt:

Control, if you have drain holes at the end of the swing arm at the bottom, where are the chain adjusters mounted. (mine had)
if not, drill one small hole at each side at bottom, ca.50-100 mm from the chain spanner bolt, for water drain.
Remove and lubricate chain adjusters bolts wit cooper or waterproof grease.

One of mine was almost seized.. i was lucky, that i removed it without thread or bolt damage.
SamanBN

Postby Darkside » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:58 am

sorry, wrong post
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews