YZ250X vs 250RR

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

YZ250X vs 250RR

Postby Clearvu1 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Had the opportunity to ride the new Yamaha this weekend at a Yamaha demo ride day with Jason Raines. First let me say Jason is a great guy, very easy to talk to and very knowledgeable. Really enjoyed my time talking with him, worth the trip just for that.
The YZ250X I rode had a bucket full of GYTR goodies bolted up, seemed pretty fresh, not many hours, everything tight and like new.
First thing, the Beta gives up absolutely nothing in the motor department. I found the YZ250X a little soft on the bottom moving to a mediocre mid with a bit of hit going to the top. Jetting wasn't as crisp as I'd like down low which didn't help. To be fair, you shouldn't expect the Yamaha to be as good as the Beta. The Beta comes with V-Force 3 read cage, full FMF exhaust and easily adjustable power valve. You could add an exhaust system and read cage to the Yammerha but there's not much you can do about the power valve. Heads up I give the Beta a fairly big nod on the motor.
The Yamaha has a very nice aluminum frame and excellent suspension. I thought the bike was very plush and handled everything I threw at it without any problems. I had to have my Beta Sachs units re-valved to get the type of action I wanted. I'd say now my suspension is as good as the Yamaha KYB stuff but I had to spend $300 to get it there. There is not a thing wrong with the steel frame on the Beta other than I suspect it's a pound or two heavier than the Aluminum frame on the Yamaha. Heads up I give the YZ250X the nod on chassis and suspension.
The Yamaha had a nice clutch pull but it did have an accessory GYTR lever on it. Even though, it still wasn't as good as the hydraulic unit on the Beta. I didn't mesh well with the tranny on the Yamaha either. The Beta has a 6 speed gearbox and, for me, provides a gear for every situation. The YZ250X's 5 speed is a little more gappy, but not terrible. Edge here goes to the Beta.
I thought the Yamaha was easy to ride while standing but the soft foam GYTR seat made transitioning from sitting to standing much more work. The Beta seat is firm, no doubt about it, but I find it allows me to move around and sit and stand much easier than the soft saddle on the Yamaha. Jason said there was a firmer GYTR seat available. I was able to stick the YZ into corners pretty well and could take the inside line away from the 4t's pretty easily but I think with my current set up I'm more precise on my Beta. Given time I may have been able to get the Yamaha to work better for me. I thought the Yamaha felt bigger and wider than my Beta. Really, my Beta feels svelte compared to other bikes, I like that. Edge goes to the Beta.
It's really hard to beat a Honda or Yamaha when it comes to fit and finish. The Beta is very, very good for an Italian bike, but not quite to Japanese standards. I'm willing to look past this but have to give the nod to the Yamaha.
Value....that's hard to determine. If you want a bare bones race bike the Yamaha is cheaper off of the floor. Add an exhaust system and reed valve and the gap narrows. You still can't fine tune the exhaust valve no matter what you do. I don't know if there are springs available to swap but that's still not as versatile as grabbing an Allen wrench and giving it a turn. If you want a bike to race enduros, ride the mountains, has lights and electric start the Yamaha isn't going to do it. The Beta has it all, already mounted up and ready to go.
Walking away from the demo ride my buddy who rides a KTM 300 and I both agreed...we wouldn't give up either of our bikes for the purple machine, even with all of the GYTR parts attched.
The Yamaha doesn't come with any goodies. The Beta has lights and the parts needed to make them work. The Beta has a button that woks very well. The Beta has a computer that gives you time, MPH, a couple of trip meters and more. I use that thing every time I ride and absolutely every time I race. it would be a big deal to put all of this stuff on the Yamaha.
Clearvu1

Re: YZ250X vs 250RR

Postby GMP » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:48 pm

There are a LOT of YZ250Xs showing up in our series, last race half of the 250A line were on blue bikes. IMO, for harescramble racing it's all you need, and what it's intended for. I think it's good for the sport. I know of three people who got these bikes and instantly improved over their orange bikes. Bottom line is its the suspension and the confidence in a stable chassis. Harescrambles are faster and less technical. For technical trail and harder enduros its a little less of a fit. I never rode one but did the YZs and they are tall and although light have a larger feel. Not the best for technical riding especially for a shorter rider. The Beta works better for that because it's overall more compact. What Beta should do is forget the bling Race model in its present form and offer a version like the YZx or the KTM XC. Strip all the crap and miles of wire off the bike except the estart. CC forks of course and a shock with setup to match. Close the transmission ratios up just a bit, more like the GG six speed which is perfect IMO. That's your American harescrambles or XC bike. Make them early and make more. If you need all the street junk and a plate by the standard bike. Think about what gets the bad rap on the Beta, the OC Sachs forks. Make something better available in quantity on a timeframe and you just might take more KTM sales away from pissed off 4CS fork owners that are moving to Yamahas. JMO.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby sasrocks » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:05 pm

awesome writeup clearvu, thanks!

though I am a yamaha devotee. with the lack of e button, 6 speed and overall dated package (granted still very effective esp suspension) I am happy w the beta. the street 'junk' expands the operating range so much more. i got mine plated so I can trail ride, HS, connect trails and essentially do it all!!
sasrocks

Postby NZMarkb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Great no BS evaluation mate
I'm a Yamaha fan but wouldn't swap my Beta for anything I've ridden lately :D :D
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby Hyde » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:02 am

I should have taken a picture of all 5 Yamaha riders using there hand warmers a couple weeks ago in a cold rain ride back to the ranch (hands in exhaust, engine running) I didn't get around to removing my hand warmers, thanks for a charging system.

I also did a few drags against a guy with a new 250x with a cut head, he didn't have anything on the Beta motor.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby Clearvu1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:44 pm

GMP wrote:There are a LOT of YZ250Xs showing up in our series, last race half of the 250A line were on blue bikes. IMO, for harescramble racing it's all you need, and what it's intended for. I think it's good for the sport. I know of three people who got these bikes and instantly improved over their orange bikes. Bottom line is its the suspension and the confidence in a stable chassis. Harescrambles are faster and less technical. For technical trail and harder enduros its a little less of a fit. I never rode one but did the YZs and they are tall and although light have a larger feel. Not the best for technical riding especially for a shorter rider. The Beta works better for that because it's overall more compact. What Beta should do is forget the bling Race model in its present form and offer a version like the YZx or the KTM XC. Strip all the crap and miles of wire off the bike except the estart. CC forks of course and a shock with setup to match. Close the transmission ratios up just a bit, more like the GG six speed which is perfect IMO. That's your American harescrambles or XC bike. Make them early and make more. If you need all the street junk and a plate by the standard bike. Think about what gets the bad rap on the Beta, the OC Sachs forks. Make something better available in quantity on a timeframe and you just might take more KTM sales away from pissed off 4CS fork owners that are moving to Yamahas. JMO.

Glenn,
I rode the regular YZ250 as well and actually liked the power on it better than the X model. You really should ride an "X" if you get the chance. It reminds me of a late model KTM 200 with just a bit more across the board.
I'm in complete agreement about the race model. Instead of selling a race harness, take the stuff off and sell it back to the consumer if they want it. I like it on my bike but I do a lot more than just racing these days so I would buy the RR anyway. For guys like me it's possible to get the stuff fitted to a YZX but it wouldn't be cheap or easy.
Clearvu1

Postby mrquick68 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:21 pm

great review.

I'd love it if Beta made a stripped down RE. No lights (keep the odo), bare bones racer - put the money saved into the Fox Podium shock! I'd be in dirt bike heaven!!!
2018 Beta 250RR RE - Beta Factory suspension kit, Tubliss, FMF Fatty, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt!
2019 Beta 390RR RE - BYOB Ohlins A-Kit, Tubliss, FMF exhaust, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt, Ti bolt kit, and more!
mrquick68

Postby merlin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Great write up!
I have a mate that absolutely slays both the technical and open trails on his YZ250X. It's obviously working for him...and he doesn't even mind kicking it.... eewww!! he's a phenomenal rider and would dwarf our abilities even on a pit bike! :P I would love to see what he can do on a Beta. Bottom line is that all bikes these days in the 'enduro' scene are incredible bikes and it really just comes down to personal preference and experience.

I LOVE my 300rr and wouldn't trade it for anything....maybe a RE :D
merlin

Postby GMP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Forget the Fox shock, Sachs is great when tuned, just make it longer to keep the rear up. I'll trade the mile of wire for a couple mm of shock shaft. :D The Yamaha's appeal is the excellent suspension and confident feel at a good price. Dated maybe but it seems to work as a bare bones racer.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby bikesparky » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 am

Good write up.
One thing, the alu frame is not lighter but heavier!
Alu is not as strong as steel so in a dirtbike frame they have to use more of it to make it as strong.
Al dirtbikes that use an alu frame are heavy as.
Just check, Beta, KTM and so on are about the lightest with a steel frame while still having an electric starter, battery, hydraulic clutch and so on as extra weight.

I'm not a brand jockey or fanboy but at the moment all the Japanese brands have dropped the ball in the enduro segment.
The Yamaha is probably the best of the orientals but nowhere near the EU bikes.
I do hope they pick up quickly as more competition makes for better bikes and prices.
bikesparky

Next

Return to Product Reviews