Clake SLR and hi performance line

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Clake SLR and hi performance line

Postby Jebster » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:39 am

Gents, I'm seriously contemplating adding the SLR on my cant-get-here-too-soon '17 Beta 300. I like the way that it looks like it will integrate with the Brembo Clutch unit. I use an Ox Brake on my 300xc and I like the functionality but it doesn't jive well with the clutch lever. Not too much of a problem as I have a Rekluse but I'm interested in the Clake when I get the 300rr because of how well it seems to "fit" and should work without a Rekluse . . . using the Ox Brake without a Rekluse would be quite difficult since the levers are too far apart as opposed to the Clake.

One concern - how well do handguards fit with this configuration? I did learn of a handguard that has become available that has my interest, the Reflex Racing handguard. 'Has a built-in flexible "joint" where a section of steel cable is used that really appeals to me. www.reflexracing.com

I am fascinated by what looks like a very high-quality line of controls by Clake, I'll be following this thread and anticipating feedback on how it well it works. Maybe a few pictures as well!

Thanks!
'17 300rr
Jebster

Postby Johnno » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm

If all goes to plan I'll be fitting this through the week. My plan is to use the slr as the clutch and the existing clutch master as the rear brake.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Owen said he'd post it last Thursday, after ringing him today he says he'll overnight it to me now.

He even made up a tracking number and ruffled some plastic pretending it was the overnight bag he was gonna send it in.

I might be a bit cynical..
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:23 am

Well true to his word, Owen dispatched the SLR and the lines I ordered which I received yesterday.

I began fitting it all this evening. I have the new braided line to the rear caliper fitted to the clutch master cylinder and working.

Folk have reported issues with bleeding the system. I've filled the air with my fair share of expletives bleeding the brakes on my bikes over the years an finally learned a few key facts of life.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over with the same wrong outcome. If brakes won't bleed, find out why, usually you've got a union thats not as tight as it should be. Or you've put the lid back on the master cylinder arse about face.

The smartest thing I ever did was buy a vaccum bleeder kit. But don't be greedy pumping up 20 inches of vacuum as you soon find you've emptied that tiddly little master cylinder. I get the fluid down to the caliper and your final bleeds you do the old fashioned way.

I've heard the lever ends up rock hard once you've done bleeding and it's all working but I am finding this not to be the case on my bike. It feels to me, as it should.. Nice.

It's kind of weird spinning the rear wheel and stopping it with the clutch lever...

Tomorrow I will embark on the bold quest to fit the SLR and the new line to the clutch slave cylinder and go for a burn up at the Johnno secret testing grounds..
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:50 pm

And a bold quest it was. I spent most of today chasing my tail not so much connecting the SLR to the Beta clutch slave but getting it to bleed.

My vacuum bleeder wouldn't work, dunno why I tried every thing I could think of and even some really sketchy stuff.

I FINALLY, sorted it using the big syringe in the slave unit bleeder and this got it happening. I had feel at the lever at long last. I pumped it up and cracked the slave bleeder, once more for luck and the bleed nipple crumbled with barely any torque on it.. In it's defense I probably loosened and tightened it 2,000 times..

So, after a cup of tea and a sulk Ill remove the slave unit and see if I can get the nipple out or take it to the shop tomorrow.

At least I know I can make it work now, a small consolation.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

I FINALLY!! got my new bleeder nipple this afternoon. Tracking said it was delivered last Thursday but not to me...

I asked Gary today if he left my suburb off the address, there are 2 streets with the same name in my town. So I lobbed around there and sure enough, it was there.

A cool chick named Lana lives there ;) we joked around about it all and I gave her my number.

Wuh heyyy!
Loose...
Johnno

Postby bikesparky » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 am

Johnno wrote:I FINALLY!! got my new bleeder nipple this afternoon. Tracking said it was delivered last Thursday but not to me...

I asked Gary today if he left my suburb off the address, there are 2 streets with the same name in my town. So I lobbed around there and sure enough, it was there.

A cool chick named Lana lives there ;) we joked around about it all and I gave her my number.

Wuh heyyy!

Double win! :)
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Tried bleeding the clutch last night with the new bleed screw and I'm back to where I was. Did everything I think I did the last I got it to work but it's just not happening. I'm going to have one more try at it tonight and if I don't succeed I'll be preparing the Drz to take to bike territory weekend after next.

At this point I don't care if I ride the Beta again. I've never really bought my Drz anything other than grips and tyres and beat the crap out of it.

She'll do the job.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby bikesparky » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Johnno wrote:Tried bleeding the clutch last night with the new bleed screw and I'm back to where I was. Did everything I think I did the last I got it to work but it's just not happening. I'm going to have one more try at it tonight and if I don't succeed I'll be preparing the Drz to take to bike territory weekend after next.

At this point I don't care if I ride the Beta again. I've never really bought my Drz anything other than grips and tyres and beat the crap out of it.

She'll do the job.

Don't know why it's so hard to bleed these things. it's not exactly a 4000 piece miniature clock with autowinding movement.
Normally when you push the fluid in clean back wards with a syringe or mitivac it should work.
I done heaps of brakes and clutches and never had so many issues as you and other people describe on these clake things. Did you ring Owen and ask what the issue could be? He's a pretty helpful chap.
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Had it working, now it's fighting me. Try again tonight but if I don't get it I'm not worried.
Loose...
Johnno

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews