P-Tech combo guard

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

P-Tech combo guard

Postby Gibnut » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:45 pm

A couple of rides & around 120km of combined crashing on rocks & shale + a couple of logs for good measure.

Construction & toughness are A+ on this guard. A few scuffs where it has already saved my brand new pipe means (if I can quote Darryl Kerrigan - seppos search "The Castle") "..just paid for itself".

Fitment - B+. Mine is not perfect - it just glances the pipe along the lower straight section & that's with a brand new pipe. Fix - shim the bracket so as to hold the guard a mm or so off the pipe or dab some Permatex on the guard in the tight spots. 3 bolt mount means it comes off in 1 minute for cleaning.

I don't care how it looks so that's not an issue for me - saving a $400 pipe is. Also it doesn't collect mud & debris like a Force due to the better drainage.

$302AUD landed from Estonia, took 8 days from order to delivery.

So far, so very good.
Last edited by Gibnut on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibnut

Re: P-Tech combo guard

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 am

Sounds good!!
I had the first generation combo Ptech..now have the second to put on.. sold the first one to a friend for half what I bought then got the newer version.. I noticed my pipe is a little bent from before when I had the enduro engineering skid plate and the flatland pipe guard.. it did a good job.. but the ptech will be better... thinking of putting a new pipe before putting on the new combo Ptech..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T47VUup4Zx4
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Gibnut » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Hawaiidirtrider, I won't use a cf/bashplate combo again after trying this new P-Tech guard.

I had a ProPower cf pipe guard & an EE bashplate. They look flash, but underneath my guard, my (now spare) pipe had dings all over it & was cracked again in the same spot it was repaired just 2 months ago.

The P-Tech was just $50AUD more than many cf guards alone. No-brainer. I hope it holds up over the coming years as my next bike is likely to be another Beta RR300 - I'll just transfer it.

P.s. If you search Youtube there is a poor guy who buys a P-Tech & says you have to lift the motor :o to fit the front mount bracket. With mine (one piece ally bracket), you just wiggle the lhs (as you are looking at the bike, front to back) of the bracket between the motor & the frame first, then the rhs drops into place - 4 seconds.
Gibnut

Postby merlin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 am

I started my beta 'career' with the stock bash plate and a P3 CF guard. Nice and light, but I still dented the pipe a few times.

I then found and bought the original P-Tech pipe/bash guard and loved it! Until I noticed that I had seized the bolts on the mouting hardware!...D'oh! (SS/Alu don't mix...I'll be sure to grease it up next time!)

Then, I ordered the new version of the P-Tech, which looks and feels like a VAST improvement on the original.

However, While waiting for it, I when for a ride with my CF/Stock bash plate on and managed to push the pipe into the frame, my radiators and water pump! :) Typical!! And now the new -Tech guard doesn't fit. Which means I need to either 1) try and bend the pipe back into shape. 2) buy a ridiculously expensive stock tinfoil pipe. 3) find a pipe, such as the gnarly, that will fit in the new guard.

If you guys have any knowledge about reshaping or aftermarket pipe fitment, I'd really love to hear about it! :D

The lesson learnt - I'll never use another CF guard again, as it just transfers the force to the weakest points of the pipe, which in 99% cases, is the elbow on the left hand side.
merlin

Postby Marylander » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 am

You could send your pipe to one of the companies that straighten them (e.g., http://www.fusiononeusa.com/).
Marylander

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 am

Yea I have only recently gotten a deal on a stock used beta 300 pipe that was blown out. Ive had my newer version ptech combo guard sitting on the side. ...but my stock pipe that’s on my bike been bent back too. I gotta say the flatland pipe guard and enduro engineering skid plate has mostly done a decent job for what it is. It just isn’t as good of a design as a decent combo guard or a custom pipe cage. At least now with this newer blown out pipe I can put my newest version ptech combo guard on. I had to get new pipe mounts too.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Marylander wrote:You could send your pipe to one of the companies that straighten them (e.g., http://www.fusiononeusa.com/).

Yeah, Thanks man! I'll look into local places once I've had enough of trying to bend my stock pipe back into submission! :)...I'm getting somewhere though! I can actually get the pipe and guard on the bike now, albeit not a great fit. The main issue with sending the pipe off as that I live in NZ, and the fact that Beta is relatively unknown round here, I would say that the guys that fix pipes probably don't know what the pipe should look like when straight....let alone even know what a Beta is! We shall see! :)
merlin

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:Yea I have only recently gotten a deal on a stock used beta 300 pipe that was blown out. Ive had my newer version ptech combo guard sitting on the side. ...but my stock pipe that’s on my bike been bent back too. I gotta say the flatland pipe guard and enduro engineering skid plate has mostly done a decent job for what it is. It just isn’t as good of a design as a decent combo guard or a custom pipe cage. At least now with this newer blown out pipe I can put my newest version ptech combo guard on. I had to get new pipe mounts too.

Cool man! Yeah, as I have mentioned, I'm possibly going to get away with bashing my stock pipe back into shape. I hope so, as a new one would cost me $576.70 NZD (ouch!)

I've looked into getting the FMF Gnarly pipe. I found that they are much cheaper and P-Tech have confirmed that it will fit their guard:

"Hi Merlin, we had a customers who fitted our guard with fmf gnarly and there is not problems with fitment. Kristel"

I'll go that route if all else fails.
merlin

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:20 pm

merlin wrote:I started my beta 'career' with the stock bash plate and a P3 CF guard. Nice and light, but I still dented the pipe a few times.

I then found and bought the original P-Tech pipe/bash guard and loved it! Until I noticed that I had seized the bolts on the mouting hardware!...D'oh! (SS/Alu don't mix...I'll be sure to grease it up next time!)

Then, I ordered the new version of the P-Tech, which looks and feels like a VAST improvement on the original.

However, While waiting for it, I when for a ride with my CF/Stock bash plate on and managed to push the pipe into the frame, my radiators and water pump! :) Typical!! And now the new -Tech guard doesn't fit. Which means I need to either 1) try and bend the pipe back into shape. 2) buy a ridiculously expensive stock tinfoil pipe. 3) find a pipe, such as the gnarly, that will fit in the new guard.

If you guys have any knowledge about reshaping or aftermarket pipe fitment, I'd really love to hear about it! :D

The lesson learnt - I'll never use another CF guard again, as it just transfers the force to the weakest points of the pipe, which in 99% cases, is the elbow on the left hand side.

I just used my bent pipe till I found a deal on a used stock pipe . You could try getting those kits off ebay to blow out your pipe yourself or try doing the one where you fill your pipe with water and put it in a freezer. I just thought Id just buy one already in shape but since your pipe is bent it could be ok to try to fix. Google it.. check out Youtube as some have vids on blowing out pipes. I was looking for a gnarly pipe which is supposed to be the same or very close to stock. That should fit the pteck but I didn’t try it. I wanted to put a pro circuit platinum pipe but just haven’t seen anyone fit one with the ptech yet.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm

There are other choices too besides ptech. Force and Duel gravity and some others along with making a custom cage guard too. Duel gravity looks good but it’s like a hundred bucks more than ptech. It would be cool thoknow what different aftermarket pipes fit but we just have to wait till someone with experience posts up.
hawaiidirtrider

Next

Return to Product Reviews