SKF wheel spacers and seals

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

SKF wheel spacers and seals

Postby mill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:09 pm

So I've got around 200hrs on the bike and noticed a bit of play in the front wheel while loading the bike a few weeks ago. I decided to give the new SKF bearing, seal, and spacer kit a try.

The bearing installation is just like any other wheel bearing install....easy peasy! When installing the seals, be sure to fill the lip with grease and pay attention to which side of the seal faces OUT. Look closely at the seal and the side that should be facing OUT has the words "external side" stamped on it. Next I installed the spacers. Again, pay attention and you'll notice that the spacers are also labeled with a "L" and a "R" denoting their appropriate side.

***I have been using the Acerbis disc guard which replaces the OEM brake side wheel spacer. Has anyone else managed to continue using this guard with the new style SKF seal kit? It didn't seem to work for me. When I installed the guard and got the wheel mounted, there was too much pressure/binding. I thought it might be due to the guards spacer so I removed it. After removing the guard and installing the SKF spacers, the wheel seemed to spin smoothly. I'm kinda bummed about removing the guard though. As you can see, it's been doing it's job. I doubt it really protects the disc, but it has definitely saved the lower fork leg / caliper from rock bashings.

Here's a pic mounted. Notice the gap between the left fork leg and the spacer. This is NORMAL.

Now it's time to test them out and see how well these new seals actually hold up. Anyways, I just wanted to share a few things I learned with this installation, and hopefully help others out since there are no instructions included and not much info on the web. Good luck guys!
Last edited by mill on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mill

Re: SKF wheel spacers and seals

Postby OscarFox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for the write up but I can't see any of your pictures
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby mill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:19 pm

OscarFox wrote:Thanks for the write up but I can't see any of your pictures

Can you see them now? I havent posted to a forum in a while and guess I needed to tweak my privacy settings at the hosting site.
mill

Postby OscarFox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:52 pm

mill wrote:
OscarFox wrote:Thanks for the write up but I can't see any of your pictures

Can you see them now? I havent posted to a forum in a while and guess I needed to tweak my privacy settings at the hosting site.

Good to go
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby miltonyz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:49 pm

I installed those in my rear wheel over the winter. I noticed after the install that the rotating piece was not rotating with the spacer. I emailed SKF and the rep said that it is easy to ding the outer lip upon install or sometimes after a couple of rides it would loosen up and begin to rotate. If they didn't start to rotate after a ride or two, he would mail me new seals. So it seems like the customer service is spot on also.
miltonyz

Return to Product Reviews