alpinestar tech 3

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

alpinestar tech 3

Postby canamfan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16 pm

I've never had a pair of boots with an ankle hinge. I bought these tech 3's a couple of years ago and they still seem pretty stiff in the ankle, as far as flexing up and down. I was off for a year though for an injury. So limited ride time on them. My question is are the boots with a hinge like the tech 7 that much better? I guess this is the right place to post this as I'm looking for reviews. Thanks!
canamfan

Re: alpinestar tech 3

Postby webmaster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:45 am

I am a "dinosaur" - my current boots are all leather Hi-Point Pro-GPs. Which is basically the same alpinestar made boot (supervictory) that I first raced mx with in 1974.

One day I left them at home and a friend had a spare set of sidi crossfire TAs that I bought cheap and rode for a day. I loved the hinge - easy to move immediately. They also had much more room around the my large calves. These were a size or two too large for me - so I passed them on to my brother in law... But my impression was "great boot"...

I am currently looking for a new set of boots and have been looking at everything that is available - my foot is very wide at 9.5 6E. For width and comfort - most look to the Gaerne boot line - just something else for you to consider.

The more expensive boots use much more plastic in the design - so they need a hinge - or nothing would be able to "give" to let you shift and brake, etc.

In looking at a new boot, I think you should consider the following...

- hinged boot will provide easier shifting and braking along with quicker break in time.
- What is fit and width of "toe box" of the brand for proper fit - e.g. alpinestars tend to run narrow and gaerne typically have more room/width.
- calf size and room around the calf.
- The higher end alpinestars come with a "booty" - an inner boot you place on first before entering the boot. Better comfort and cost of "reduced feel" - more isolation from controls, etc.

Based on my rather obsessive boot search - I would say you also want to look at a sidi, gaerne, or forma. I have seen many reviews with happy users for Gaerne SG-10 and SIDI crossfire TA. Forma top end boot is predator.

And finally, the higher end Italian made boots are all good boots - no one boot is "better" than the other in any appreciable way - our feet and lower legs are all shaped differently and you need to try some on to see which one is best for you. So don't be swayed by someone saying Boot XYZ is best and you should buy it... It is the best for them - which is great - but it may not be the best for you. :-)

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby mtdirtbag » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 am

I'll offer my experience when looking at SIDI and Gaerne; when I was trying to move to the SIDI I found the SRS to be very narrow and I have a medium width foot but the TA SIDI is wider and fit my foot well. I had Gaerne that I was replacing which was too wide for my foot and would get uncomfortable by the end of a long ride. Just my observations.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby canamfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, I do have a wide foot 11 triple E
canamfan

Postby webmaster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:08 pm

canamfan wrote:Thanks for the replies, I do have a wide foot 11 triple E

I have been talking to Brian at Atomic Moto and it has been very helpful. http://www.atomic-moto.com

Very good prices with free shipping and return policy - the best in terms of "service" - a level you don't see anywhere else these days...

I think a Gaerne SG-10 would be something you should look at. Brian told me the most recent design is sized a bit small (in length) - so you might go to a size 12 in this boot. e.g. try both size 11 and size 12 and see how they feel.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby canamfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 pm

I've been looking at those Forma Terrain 2.0 boots. They look pretty good for the price. Does anyone know how well the hinged ankle works?
canamfan

Postby hooter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 am

I broke my fibia a couple of years ago wearing Alpinstar dual sport boots, so I ponied up and bought a set of Gaerne SG12's. These boots are awesome! They encase your foot in solid plastic like a ski boot so the protection is really good. They have a hinge at the ankle. They were comfortable right out of the gate, no break in time needed. My feet are size 12, moderately wide, and the boots fit pretty true to normal shoe sizes.

If you have really wide feet, I've heard the Gaerne SG10's are wider than the SG12 so they might be a good bet.
hooter

Postby bryanaverill » Wed May 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Well, I disliked the Tech 3 so much that I bought the Tech 7's a few months later. At the time it seemed like a big waste of money. BUT, I'm very happy with the Tech 7's. They have been good boots for the cost.
bryanaverill

Postby Enmerdeur » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:59 am

hooter wrote:I broke my fibia a couple of years ago wearing Alpinstar dual sport boots, so I ponied up and bought a set of Gaerne SG12's. These boots are awesome! They encase your foot in solid plastic like a ski boot so the protection is really good. They have a hinge at the ankle. They were comfortable right out of the gate, no break in time needed. My feet are size 12, moderately wide, and the boots fit pretty true to normal shoe sizes.

If you have really wide feet, I've heard the Gaerne SG10's are wider than the SG12 so they might be a good bet.

This has been my exact experience with the SG12's. Awesome boots and have lasted for years. The other night I hit a log that was hidden in the grass with my left foot. It hurt for a bit but no damage to my foot. Hate to think what might have happened with a light weight boot.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Return to Product Reviews