Scott's Stabilizer

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Scott's Stabilizer

Postby xdab » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Never had a Scott's before. Just purchased and installed on new '19 300rr. Having a difficult time coming to terms with a good woods setting. Even turning out low speed quite a bit still offers up too much resistance. OK for faster rough flowing but wears on me in long sections of tight technical with a lot of transitions. The slower going doesn't really invoke the high speed so my issue is with the low speed setting on the Scott's. With the other stabilizer I've run (Fastway) I can dial out the low speed if I want.

This a characteristic with the Scott's? If so, what's a good woods setting?
xdab

Re: Scott's Stabilizer

Postby nevermind » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:51 am

Best setting for me is full CCW for low speed and HS set to Scott stock specs. If I got in some sections where the speed picked up and the terrain was deep sand or mud, I sometimes increased LS damping to get more steering stability. The BEST thing about the Scott is the HS damping. It really dampens bar end tree strikes and when hitting leaf covered stumps/rocks. IMHO, that feature alone has kept me upright a number of times...
nevermind

Postby celler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:41 pm

I would say your experience is not typical.

Since you posted this Dec 26 it could be that you are out riding in cold temperatures and that definitely increases the resistance. Even still does not seem like the added resistance would be worse than not having a damper as far as fatigue.

This is a long shot: Since you say it is when you are in tight woods with a lot of tight turns it may actually be your high speed. When I first got my Scotts years ago I was playing with the Damper and though I would dial in a little more high speed. Everything seemed good. The one day I was in some tight woods where I would rapidly move my bars. I actually thought I nicked a tree and did not know it. Then It repeated. When I got home I was looking for something wrong with my steering. On the stand I could make it lock up by rapidly moving the bars. Just backed off the high speed and it solved the issue.
celler

Postby Trail Rider » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Assuming all other settings are normal & you dont have an installation issue there is no way the base valve (low speed) will provide much noticeable resistance at the lower settings (up to about 7-8 clicks). Have you put the bike on a stand? With front tire off the ground 1-7 clicks from lowest setting should not provide much resistance at all. If it does, you have another issue.
2018 Beta 300RR
Trail Rider

Postby xdab » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:42 am

I wouldn't say there's a lot of resistance on the stand with LSC pretty much dialed out but definitely noticeable. Bars "flop" left and right without it mounted while on stand. Installing with LSC at 1 or 2 clicks off the bottom requires a gentle shove to get bars to hit stop. Mount is correct. Puzzling................
xdab

Postby Trail Rider » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I would compare against another bike with Scotts installed for a reference point.
2018 Beta 300RR
Trail Rider

Return to Product Reviews