Postby brantsdad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:54 pm

going to try one also ... See link

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=622
2013 300RR
2004 Husqvarna 167 (125 big bore) I should have never sold her
brantsdad

Re: Hyde racing engine guard and Obie Linkage guard

Postby ricoyam » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:33 pm

I ordered the Hyde skid plate and put it on yesterday. After reading these posts I was expecting a bit of a nightmare but I found it fit pretty well.
Thinking it could be technique, here is how I installed mine.
There are three mounting screws on my 430. I'll assume this is pretty much the same across the line.
I started by putting in the rear screw just threading it in a few turns.
Swinging the front of the plate up I noticed it would be a tight fit around the frame so I used an under the frame stand which pushed the plate up into position. The holes in the front still did not line up real well so leaving the bike on the stand, I undid the rear screw and shifted the bike around which seated in better into the skid plate. Gravity is our friend. This brought the fron holes very close and just required a bit of pushing to get them perfect to hand start the front screws. Then, with the bike still on the stand I went back and reinstalled the rear bolt. It wasn't lined up perfectly but just took a little push to get it started. I dropped the stand, then tightened the bolts. Easy.

Today I dropped a screw and naturally it fell into the skid plate. I had to undo the rear screw to get the magnetic pick up tool I there and thought I might have to fight things to get the bolt back in but it pretty much went right in.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Phatpat » Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 am

I too had problems fitting the Hyde skid plate, had to cut and modify some, especially in the rear to get my Obie linkage guard to fit. Just got back from a race in Romania and the obie linkage guard is already damaged and bent by a hit to the linkage, just one hit against a log and that was it. Getting a fastway linkage guard now.
Beta 250 RR Racing 2015
Phatpat

Postby Darkside » Sun May 10, 2015 10:48 am

After finding the bottom of my frame bashed in with the stock plastic skid, I finally installed an EE alum plate. I trimmed off the back tab so my modified obie guard would work. I put some foam weatherstripping between the plate and the frame to hopefully reduce some noise
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Previous

Return to Product Reviews