Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby GMP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:53 am

Knox Enduro wrote:The Motoz Hybrid has gotten a bit of a bad rap, but it definitely has it's place. We sold one to a guy that rides a KTM 350 who rides mostly technical slop, but some fire roads and street. After one year of varied riding including 200 miles of black top, it has no wear to speak of. He would have been through 2-3 knobbies in the that same time. The tire is not ideal for normal single track or racing, but I say on a big 4t where you know you will be doing some dual sport type stuff, it may be the way to go, especially if you don't like changing tires.

After a couple rides on this tire I said the same thing, that it would be a good dual sport tire on a heavier bike. I thought my friend Cruiser would like it on his 525. I sold mine to a casual DS rider and it will probably dry rot before he wears it out. Gary, I see you have the new Shinko 505 Hybrid on your site, have you tried these and do you stock them yet? That looks like a good option for me to try, like a Sedona with a more conventional tread.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby betajuice » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 pm

talking of heavier bikes, a mate of mine took his off the freeride 250 because it was too wide and heavy for such a light bike, as expected. he put it on his ktm 950 (which is getting close to the load rating for the tyre apparently) and said the grip on and off road was the best he's experienced yet. it hasn't been on long enough to determine how it will wear on the big bike but i was expecting it to be shredded after one ride as he was roosting out of every corner and it looked fine by the end of the day...

but back to dirt bikes. after around 800km on the RR300 i've worn about 1/3 of the tread. at around 400km the leading edges of the knobs rounded off and i found i couldn't manage our more extreme hill climbs anymore but grip everywhere else was still fine. of course a knobby would be mostly worn out by then anyway, but i'm finding it awkward as our rides involve so many hard hill climbs but i've got a tyre that has so much life in it still.

another long term comment, for our slow technical riding i've been running 0 to 4psi with the tubliss and small cracks have started appearing in the sidewall. when i bought the tyre, i told the guys how i would be using it and they did tell me this would eventually happen if i regularly ran them at zero psi so no big surprise there, it's taken 30+ rides to make it happen.

i was planning on buying another one of these but now i think i'll explore other options. but i'd tend to agree with knox, i think it's still a great tyre on a heavier dirt bike where you want long tyre life, and good performance both on and off road.
Last edited by betajuice on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betajuice

Postby Knox Enduro » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm

GMP wrote:
Knox Enduro wrote:The Motoz Hybrid has gotten a bit of a bad rap, but it definitely has it's place. We sold one to a guy that rides a KTM 350 who rides mostly technical slop, but some fire roads and street. After one year of varied riding including 200 miles of black top, it has no wear to speak of. He would have been through 2-3 knobbies in the that same time. The tire is not ideal for normal single track or racing, but I say on a big 4t where you know you will be doing some dual sport type stuff, it may be the way to go, especially if you don't like changing tires.

After a couple rides on this tire I said the same thing, that it would be a good dual sport tire on a heavier bike. I thought my friend Cruiser would like it on his 525. I sold mine to a casual DS rider and it will probably dry rot before he wears it out. Gary, I see you have the new Shinko 505 Hybrid on your site, have you tried these and do you stock them yet? That looks like a good option for me to try, like a Sedona with a more conventional tread.

Just mounted one saturday on my 350rr, we had snow on the ground, so I decided to wait a few days. Just playing in the yard it seemed reluctant to spin even with about an inch of snow on the ground. Tire is pretty impressive to look at and touch, very soft. I have been running the Shinko trail pro trials tire on my last few bikes and have had good success. The new 505 Cheater feels just about as soft, closer spacing than a knobby, but not close like a trials tire. Sidewalls are thick but flexible, tire is a little heavier than normal, but not as heavy as the Motoz Hybrid. I think it's going to grip like crazy, have to wait and see if it holds up, and I think it will as Shinko doesn't try to be Golden Tyre. I do have a few in stock, but I want to try one before I order too many.
Knox Enduro

Postby GMP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Sounds good I'm game to try one.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:56 am

betajuice wrote:talking of heavier bikes, a mate of mine took his off the freeride 250 because it was too wide and heavy for such a light bike, as expected. he put it on his ktm 950 (which is getting close to the load rating for the tyre apparently) and said the grip on and off road was the best he's experienced yet. it hasn't been on long enough to determine how it will wear on the big bike but i was expecting it to be shredded after one ride as he was roosting out of every corner and it looked fine by the end of the day...

but back to dirt bikes. after around 800km on the RR300 i've worn about 1/3 of the tread. at around 400km the leading edges of the knobs rounded off and i found i couldn't manage our more extreme hill climbs anymore but grip everywhere else was still fine. of course a knobby would be mostly worn out by then anyway, but i'm finding it awkward as our rides involve so many hard hill climbs but i've got a tyre that has so much life in it still.

another long term comment, for our slow technical riding i've been running 0 to 4psi with the tubliss and small cracks have started appearing in the sidewall. when i bought the tyre, i told the guys how i would be using it and they did tell me this would eventually happen if i regularly ran them at zero psi so no big surprise there, it's taken 30+ rides to make it happen.

i was planning on buying another one of these but now i think i'll explore other options. but i'd tend to agree with knox, i think it's still a great tyre on a heavier dirt bike where you want long tyre life, and good performance both on and off road.

Good to hear you have gotten some good use out of it, as I had one or two guys say they weren't any good. Since we quite often have your videos streaming on the big screen at the bike shop, I can tell them just watch the screen!
Knox Enduro

Previous

Return to Product Reviews