Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon May 11, 2015 7:34 pm

I've heard it's not hooking up well for local slippery trails.. but have heard great things about this motoz hybrid from others from other states . The tire is big but the rubber is not super soft like a trials tire.. I have mine but have not been feeling like changing it after some good vet local riders are not impressed. I'll probably ride it and probably end up siping the tire and run low press... probably run it on my 525 RS for on off road riding. Some local guys have cut the hell out of the tire and run low and said it didn't work well here on Oahu.. but others have said it works great.. so check locally for what works best for you. Tire does look great... I'll make up my own mind.. and since I bought it already might as well try.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby GMP » Mon May 11, 2015 8:16 pm

300rrracer wrote:I am pretty excited to try this tire. I love all the different reviews but I want to try this myself for some reason.
I'll be mounting it on my 300rr with a michelin mousse. Lots of climbing roots and rocks. Lower speed single track stuff. I don't know if it will be a good match but I already have it now and it looks the part. I'll report back soon!

Sure, everyone has different applications and should try it if they think it might work for them. That said, IMO, the mousse is a bad idea. The tire is stiff, with a softer crown. At 10 PSI it felt rigid. 6 PSI worked but bounced around a lot. 2 PSI was best. It's a Tubliss tire if there ever was one. Plus, it's going to take a really big mousse to fill this thing.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ricoyam » Mon May 11, 2015 8:31 pm

I rod e dual sport a couple of weeks ago and my riding partner had a Motoz on his Honda 650. Yup, big tire, big bike but he was lovin it. Conditions were dry and pretty loose. My 430 with the stock Michelins was all over the place. On that Monday I checked with the distributor and was told he would love to send me one but he had just gotten a container and they were all presold. I'll probably spoon on some MT21s for the next round and try the Motoz next time. At any rate I need to get the OE tires off. I think they'd work well in the wet but tha just ain't happening in CA this year.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby GMP » Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 pm

I'd like to try the Sedona 907 in the rocks here. Slavens measured the durometer to be softer than the MotoZ MH. It's also a lot smaller. Like the MMH, currently sold out everywhere.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby betajuice » Mon May 11, 2015 11:29 pm

like others i'm keen to hear more owner reviews about the motoz trials. i'm organizing a second set of wheels for the RR300 and use some trials tires and the tubeliss setup to do some clubman level trials competition for the fun of it. not sure whether to put on a proper trials tire or have a crack at the motoz which would probably be good for general dirt riding too.

some of the goldentyres were mentioned earlier, if anyone is interested i did these reviews earlier this year:
- GT216x "gummy" rear goldentyre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2V8RXir5U0
- GT216 front and GT230 rear goldentyre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGYLoPPR4gY
betajuice

Postby Hammer » Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 am

GMP wrote:I'd like to try the Sedona 907 in the rocks here. Slavens measured the durometer to be softer than the MotoZ MH. It's also a lot smaller. Like the MMH, currently sold out everywhere.

Glen I used a 907 down in Hatfield-Mccoy. With tubliss and 2-3 psi it's magic for trail riding the rocks but I wouldn't use it for racing and if there is any mud go around it :lol: Cornering grip is also a bit hit or miss also but I would say it's a better all around tire than a trials.
Hammer

Postby katoom400 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:51 am

no first hand experience with the Motoz, but the reviews don't seem all that great and it's heavy compared to the trials tire. One of the guys in my group has been riding the Sedona tubliss with ~5psi and he loves it around here. Jeffery Pasqua (ECEA fast guy) was out in our woods this weekend and was running the Kenda Equalibrium with a bib and seemed to love it.
katoom400

Postby GMP » Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 am

Andy,
I pulled my Motoz off when I got back from CMRA. Your welcome to come over and do some curls with mine anytime! :lol: Actually I have it sold to another ECEA guy I'm meeting at the race this weekend. I think Jeff must have obtained that Kenda outside normal channels. Its on my list to try ASAP and I think for our stuff it looks like a top contender.

Sedona is cheap and worth a try. It has to be better in mud than a TT. Its pretty rough here so cornering performance is no big loss. TTs generally work great except for braking and some downhills. I figured the Sedona might fill in those voids. Thats what I had hoped for the MotoZ too.

Right now I just use the MT16s with a couple races on them for trail riding. Sometimes I'll hit them with a knobby knife but doesn't matter much in rocks. 7 PSI Tubliss its close to a Pirelli MT43. I'll trash them when the cords inside look like a mop. :lol: , but despite that they never leak or fail.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 am

thank for the reviews. I was also more interested in the Kenda E. I hope Jeff can give us his opinion on it. I really like the tt but dry loose downhills can be sketchy.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby 300rrracer » Tue May 12, 2015 6:30 pm

GMP wrote:
300rrracer wrote:I am pretty excited to try this tire. I love all the different reviews but I want to try this myself for some reason.
I'll be mounting it on my 300rr with a michelin mousse. Lots of climbing roots and rocks. Lower speed single track stuff. I don't know if it will be a good match but I already have it now and it looks the part. I'll report back soon!

Sure, everyone has different applications and should try it if they think it might work for them. That said, IMO, the mousse is a bad idea. The tire is stiff, with a softer crown. At 10 PSI it felt rigid. 6 PSI worked but bounced around a lot. 2 PSI was best. It's a Tubliss tire if there ever was one. Plus, it's going to take a really big mousse to fill this thing.

I'll try no mousse and set my pressure low instead then. I already have it now and it's time for a fresh meat so I'll run it. I was really looking forward to this tire when I first read about it. It's too bad most of the reviews are falling short. Oh well, it's still good to see a new type of tire come around.
I had ran a Vee rubber tackee a few tires ago and was pretty impressed. It wore out very quick but the grip was very good. I will get another one for racing and just swap it for something else to try to preserve it on normal rides.
300rrracer

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews