Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby HRRacing » Tue May 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Well, I have one on my GasGas EC250 (hopefully converting to Beta soon) and love it. I used a Pirelli MT43 trials tire for several years and loved it in all the various conditions here in the Northwest. But I was missing having sidewall knobs and some tire braking. So I decided on the Motoz Hybrid. So far so good. It has performed well over loose, embedded or wet rocks, dry or wet roots, dry or wet log crossings, various hill climbs and great on steep downhills. I first ran it @10psi and it was bouncy. Since then I've run it @5psi and that seems to be it's happy place. Yes, it is large, but personally like that because it gives me a larger footprint. Yes, it's heavier than others, but again personally, I like that it's like adding a little more counter weight. Plus, everytime you add a gallon of fuel that adds 8 pounds! It's not a true trials tire, the MT43 was better in some situations, but it is as advertised. It's a hybrid of a trials and knobby and it does offer the best of both worlds. So far I love it. I'll buy another one.
HRRacing

Postby katoom400 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

HRRacing wrote:Well, I have one on my GasGas EC250 (hopefully converting to Beta soon) and love it. I used a Pirelli MT43 trials tire for several years and loved it in all the various conditions here in the Northwest. But I was missing having sidewall knobs and some tire braking. So I decided on the Motoz Hybrid. So far so good. It has performed well over loose, embedded or wet rocks, dry or wet roots, dry or wet log crossings, various hill climbs and great on steep downhills. I first ran it @10psi and it was bouncy. Since then I've run it @5psi and that seems to be it's happy place. Yes, it is large, but personally like that because it gives me a larger footprint. Yes, it's heavier than others, but again personally, I like that it's like adding a little more counter weight. Plus, everytime you add a gallon of fuel that adds 8 pounds! It's not a true trials tire, the MT43 was better in some situations, but it is as advertised. It's a hybrid of a trials and knobby and it does offer the best of both worlds. So far I love it. I'll buy another one.

how does it wear compared to a trials tire?
katoom400

Postby HRRacing » Wed May 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Only 200 miles on it, so hard to tell at this point. Still looks new but Motoz tires are known to get better traction when they start to wear. I initially thought that was a bunch of BS until I owned one. I ran the tractionator enduro i/t and ran it till it had about 30% tread left and it still hooked like a trials tire. I've been sold on Motoz ever since. But to each his own.
HRRacing

Postby GMP » Wed May 13, 2015 8:00 pm

It's really nothing like a trials tire other than general appearance and close proximity of the knobs. Compound is not sticky, and sidewall is stiff. It doesn't flex and conform to obstacles like a TT. It's made more like some of the new knobbys with a softer crown to go with stiff sidewall. Knobs are tall but tight so it should last a long time Mine has three days on it at CMRA in TN and it's literally like new.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Mon May 18, 2015 5:16 am

Most of the guys I have sold the Motoz to like them, but consensus is they are not the holy grail of tires that we all search for. I think if you ride in an area that eats tires, they are a good option, lots of rubber there, believe it will last forever. Also more dual Sport type riding should suit it.
I sold a 300RR to a guy that runs Motoz and he said they don't start working well until about the time other tires start to drop off. Could be the natural rubber takes a while to soften up.
GP
Knox Enduro

Postby ossi » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm

I would not try this tire just based on the statement that it was heavy.

On my 350 exc and my old YZ I started running 100/100 18 inch when the winter rain and snow hit and the MT 43 was taken off.
The 100/100 (Bridgestone 404) cuts clay mud and snow really well, that decrease in mass rotating was noted as well. I certainly
never felt a loss of traction. I would love to see a list of tires weight. Any body know of a tire that felt really light?
Big bore YZ, to 350 EXC to 300X
ossi

Postby HRRacing » Wed May 20, 2015 7:12 am

Here's some tire info from Internet:

Michelin Trial X Light 12lbs
Dunlop D803 12.7lbs
Kenda Equilibrium 13.6lbs
Pirelli MT43 14.5lbs
MotoZ Hybrid 15.8lbs

So, MotoZ is 2.1lbs heavier than the new Kenda. Not a deal breaker for me. I went from the Pirelli MT43, so only 1.3lbs heavier. Didn't notice a difference.
HRRacing

Postby GMP » Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 am

I have mine for sale again if anyone is interested. I'll post a pic in classifieds later.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Thu May 21, 2015 4:14 am

I have a customer that cut off some of the center and side knobs, he said it made it hook up better. And yet to see any wear!
Knox Enduro

Postby GMP » Thu May 21, 2015 5:39 am

Knobs are really tall, it would be more like a knobby if you did that. I think it does a decent job in mud as is, not super but OK. I was down at CMRA in March so I'm sure you know how that mud is and I did not have any more trouble than by buddy with a knobby. Thinking about it my biggest complaint is the width. If it were more in line with a typical 120 size tire, it would naturally be lighter as well. That would work better on the lighter bikes. As is its made to order for the big RS bikes!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews