Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby Knobbiethrower » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:11 pm

I have one one the way. I'm very interested in seeing how it performs and holds up.
2011 HUSABERG 390 FE
Knobbiethrower

Postby flybars » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for sharing. So it seems the Motoz tire has harder knobs than a trials tire but compensates by having a flexible center. I've been running a Bridgestone heavy duty tube at 8 lbs with a trials tire and have liked the softer tread. Was hoping for a soft knobbied trials tire with side knobs. The Motoz looks like a perfect candidate for the Tubliss system where U can run very low pressure. Can't wait to get some reviews!
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Mounted mine up tonight. Sidewall is stiff, nothing like a TT. At 10 PSI it barley flexes sitting on the bike. I'll be running it at 5PSI. Big tire, about the same size as a 120 MT16, but heavy! I think this tire will be perfect for technical, rocky riding and moderate speeds. I have a feeling the weight will make it less desirable at higher speeds and bumps, but of course I'll have to ride it first. I'm looking at it as a TT with the cornering and braking fixed, not a magic bullet do it all tire.

image.jpg
image.jpg (216.55 KiB) Viewed 17812 times
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby webmaster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 am

I do wonder how this tire will compare to the kenda equilibrium. The kenda is reported to use a soft and gumny compound.

Jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby GMP » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 am

The thing with the Kenda is its a square profile. Its like a traditional TT with wider center knob spacing and larger side knobs. I would think, and this is purely speculation at this point, that it may not corner as linear as the Motoz. I say this because I have run every trials tire made over the last 10 or so years. The one that stood out as most versatile and cornered the best was the Mitas ET-01, and guess what? It was stiffer and had a round profile. I'm guessing that this tire will be similar to the Pirelli MT43 at a couple PSI lower relative pressure, but with better braking, turning, and durability. Not the ultimate in sticky TT traction, but the best compromise for a woods bike in most conditions. This thing is tough, you will be able to run low pressure Tubliss and not beat your rims up or tear a sidewall. Of course I will give a real report after riding it, not for awhile though.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby onegreyghost » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:58 pm

I have ran just about every tire. I just tried the Goldentyre 216x the best tire by far. I know why Graham and the rest of the top extreme riders run them. I got over 300 miles on it and its holding up well. We ride mostly hilly single track with rocks and roots. I wouldn't waste a lot of time on hybrids most of the time there performance suffers trying to cover to much terrain types. There is no perfect tyre but the 216 is as close that I have gotten. Good thing is Steve will be a dealer and I want a full pallet of them
onegreyghost

Postby webmaster » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:04 am

Hmm.. Looking at the goldentyre you mention - it looks like the old dunlop d752 with FIM sized knobs (max 13mm knob height). Not to disagree - looks like a good tire for europe - but just wondering if there are greater, and better, options here in the U.S (non FIM tires...)

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby GMP » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 am

Its probably a real sticky compound, to go with those short knobs. Would be good for EX type obstacles for sure. Even the stock FIM tire aired down a bit is good in the rocks. Add any mud though and things change quick. If ride reports are reasonable I'm game to try anything, but one thing for sure is that no one tire will work for me, its just too diverse. With this MotoZ I'm wondering how well it cleans out in mud, knobs are big but spacing is like a TT. One of my reasons for running TTs locally is cost, I save a lot on trashed knobbys. This tire should be good in that respect as its a lot tougher.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Magile » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:42 am

webmaster wrote:Hmm.. Looking at the goldentyre you mention - it looks like the old dunlop d752 with FIM sized knobs (max 13mm knob height). Not to disagree - looks like a good tire for europe - but just wondering if there are greater, and better, options here in the U.S (non FIM tires...) jeff

Here's a non-FIM model from GoldenTyre. Dunn cost, but the GoldenTyre USA website has a dealer search function. - M.

from http://www.goldentyre.com/en/
GT 523 Rocky - This tyre is best suited for hard-packed terrain. Its special tread pattern guarantees best traction in acceleration as well as braking. The carcass structure and reinforced side wall knobs give a maximum contact surface even when cornering. Ideal for Enduro bikes where F.I.M. approval is not required, it combines excellent performance with long lasting durability.

Magile

Next

Return to Product Reviews