Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:05 pm

That MotoZ becomes a basketball over 3-4 PSI at race speed on a 300. Barry if you like that tire you need to try some others Tubliss, even the cheap Sedona is better. For what your doing get an MT43 and run it @ 5-6 PSI, you will forget all about the MotoZ.

I have never damaged a rim running Tubliss for years, even with lighter tires. With the bead locked in place, worst case the tire would basically fold in half first to buffer the rim, so thats quite a cushion.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:00 pm

On the positive side for the Moto Z Hybrid, they are showing no wear after many miles, should lend it self to dual sport applications.
Apparently later shipments they changed the tire making it softer and lighter which would help with the grip. It will never be a race tire, but softer and lighter would make it much improved on the trail.
Knox Enduro

Postby GMP » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:16 pm

They need a 110 width or scale back the 120 to a normal 120 size. Keep the sidewalls reasonably stiff and soften the compound a bit.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Darkside » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:53 am

On the positive side for the Moto Z Hybrid, they are showing no wear after many miles, should lend it self to dual sport applications.
Apparently later shipments they changed the tire making it softer and lighter which would help with the grip. It will never be a race tire, but softer and lighter would make it much improved on the trail.

I have over 1000 miles on my tire. 3-300 mile+ dual sports and 3 trail rides. Amazing wear, but on dirt only applications I still prefer a knobby
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby betajuice » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 am

GMP wrote:That MotoZ becomes a basketball over 3-4 PSI at race speed on a 300. Barry if you like that tire you need to try some others Tubliss, even the cheap Sedona is better. For what your doing get an MT43 and run it @ 5-6 PSI, you will forget all about the MotoZ.

I have never damaged a rim running Tubliss for years, even with lighter tires. With the bead locked in place, worst case the tire would basically fold in half first to buffer the rim, so thats quite a cushion.

yep, as per the vid i don't think it's the right tire for consistently fast riding. it wasn't an MT43 but i'd already tried a trials tire and found the usual drawbacks guys mentioned when applied to a dirt bike. from what i've read in other's reports the MT43 didn't sound sufficiently like a hybrid tire?

i've been following some other threads that mention options like the sedona which we don't have in australia yet, great to see a broader selection becoming available and would be keen to try them at some stage.

when i got my motoz the guy said they have a few variations coming out in a few months so i assume there will be a lighter one. for our style of riding though, i don't mind picking up a bit of weight if it means a bit more scope for running lower pressures e.g. getting a flat tire and just keep riding for the day. but i know many want to trim as much weight off the bike as poss....
betajuice

Postby GMP » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:32 am

betajuice wrote:
GMP wrote:That MotoZ becomes a basketball over 3-4 PSI at race speed on a 300. Barry if you like that tire you need to try some others Tubliss, even the cheap Sedona is better. For what your doing get an MT43 and run it @ 5-6 PSI, you will forget all about the MotoZ.

yep, as per the vid i don't think it's the right tire for consistently fast riding. it wasn't an MT43 but i'd already tried a trials tire and found the usual drawbacks guys mentioned when applied to a dirt bike. from what i've read in other's reports the MT43 didn't sound sufficiently like a hybrid tire?

i've been following some other threads that mention options like the sedona which we don't have in australia yet, great to see a broader selection becoming available and would be keen to try them at some stage.

when i got my motoz the guy said they have a few variations coming out in a few months so i assume there will be a lighter one. for our style of riding though, i don't mind picking up a bit of weight if it means a bit more scope for running lower pressures e.g. getting a flat tire and just keep riding for the day. but i know many want to trim as much weight off the bike as poss....

Barry,
MT43 is a bit more stable, but not as sticky, as the other radial TTs. I have a lot of hrs on them @ 5-6 PSI without issue. The MotoZ is so heavy I think it affects the suspension action at mid to higher speeds. This and the stiffness add up to the bounce effect which almost everyone reports and dislikes on lighter bikes. I'm always looking to experiment and find something that I can call a true hybrid in function, at a reasonable price, because I go through trail riding knobbys fast here, Why I have so much time on the TTs . The Sedona is not bad, actually very good on rocks and hard stuff, but mud performance (turning actually) is lacking. Maybe this weekend I will evaluate its wet rock traction. Both Jeff Slavens and Jeff Douglas at NuTech suggested I try the Shinko 520, supposed to be like the Sedona with much better wet performance, may do that next.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Cruiser » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:44 pm

New here on the forum but GMP knows me well.. I have been running the tubliss moto Z combo this season in everything from rocky technical terrain to south jersey sand. The key I have found is zero pressure. On street I will pump up to 5. Braking is a weak spot but everything else has been spot on. I have about 350 miles or better on it. 180 being the Hammer run in south jersey sand. I was told by the dealer who sold it to me who was also at the event to run 5-8psi for the sand. That lasted 1/2 way into the first day, then I dropped it to 2 then zero. I lean really far over and it stuck like a knobby. I currently have a pig of a bike. I ride a 2004 ktm 450exc-525sx engine currently. I can see this tire making a smaller bike bounce. The tire is not showing any real wear yet, and unless I'm sitting on it it looks fully inflated, and when on it it looks like a trials tire with 4-6psi.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:32 pm

I put a Kenda hybrid equilibrium tire on my 350 rr.. that one leans more on the trials side than the knobby.. and a much softer sidewall than the mountain motoz.. I'm thinking that one is better right now.. but still it depends on trail conditions.. I'm still liking a knobby too..but still trying.. with each tire there are still good and bad depending on conditions.. just put an intermediate maxxis knobby on my 300 rr and it's working real well.. surprised.. just a regular not expensive tire... I just ordered a sedona back tire for something like $85 shipped to Hawaii.. unreal price on ebay.. I'll see how those work... lots like them and the price is right. local dealers usually have em at around a hundred bucks or so.
..just a few cuss words on the vid.. sorry for those that don't care for that..just trail language.. with the kenda just have to have the right tire press.. this was a sort of slippery day ...not real slippery like other days .. can't tell from the vid though..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWN92ugYt4E
hawaiidirtrider

Postby iamovru » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:58 pm

I have been running the Sedona 907 with Tubliss for about 2 months now at 2-3 lbs and love it. I can tell you that the tire sucks bad with a standard tube.
2015 Beta 300 RR Race :)
2015 350XC-F that is far from stock
2011 GasGas 300EC ( STOLEN BY A SCUM BAG!)
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500

Member-(BCORMA)
iamovru

Postby Knox Enduro » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:30 am

The Motoz Hybrid has gotten a bit of a bad rap, but it definitely has it's place. We sold one to a guy that rides a KTM 350 who rides mostly technical slop, but some fire roads and street. After one year of varied riding including 200 miles of black top, it has no wear to speak of. He would have been through 2-3 knobbies in the that same time. The tire is not ideal for normal single track or racing, but I say on a big 4t where you know you will be doing some dual sport type stuff, it may be the way to go, especially if you don't like changing tires.
Knox Enduro

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews