Atlas Air neck brace

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Atlas Air neck brace

Postby GMP » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:02 am

I have wanted a brace for a long time now but shyed away from Leatt because of the horrible fit and feel over my plated right collarbone. Also, several personal accounts(and many more reports) of rides breaking collarbones with Leatts in minor falls. Astars pretty much the same. Considered the Leatt Fusion 3.0 combo but its bulky and the shoulder cups are a joke, plus if you trash the CP you trash everything. Original Atlas much better after trying one on, so I ordered an Atlas Air as they came out about the same time. After a long backorder wait I received it last week. Can't beleive how light and compact it is, almost thought it can't possibly do anything. It fits easily over my head with the flexible frame connector, no hinges/joints except an emergency front release. The shoulder contact area is a smooth stiff foam that can be adjusted with an added foam spacer if needed. I adjusted the rear supports only for a perfect fit. I'm wearing this with a Fox Airframe, so fitting that was next. I had no intentions of using the strap system. All I had to do with the Fox was to adjust the chest and backplate height to the middle row of holes. Now, the F&R supports of the AA are captured by the F&R plates of the Fox. Next, I zip tied a large oring (exhaust spigot oring) to the shoulder pads of the Fox, and slipped them into the strap retainers of the AA. Now when I put on my hydration system, the shoulder straps pull down on the orings and pull the brace down just as the strap system would. Also, the hydro packs shoulder straps are prevented from riding under the brace. The cross chest strap from the hydro pack slips right under the front of the brace, over the Fox, and front supports of the AA keeping them tight against the chest, perfect! Easy to R&R in seconds. Helmet contact seemed about perfect and was not too limiting.

Riding, it stays put and I forgot it was there after a few minutes. Rode all day yesterday in some extreme terrain and it was great. I also got to test it, not planned of course. On one gnarly trail, there is a log bridge built over a large downed tree that sits about 4 feet off the ground, like a steep pile of logs on each side, about 6-7 feet total height, half skinned from traffic. The far side is a downhill so you can't see over. I hit it after my buddy thinking he had cleared and was on his way, when in fact he was just off the logs. I tapped the brake to avoid a collision and instantly went off the side and over the bars of the now vertical bike. Landed hard from the top, and I could feel my head stop as the helmet hit the right side of the brace. Not saying I would have broken my neck without it, but I certainly would be hurting a lot more today.

So, I'm a beleiver and won't ride without it again. Like my knee braces and steering damper. This is the evolution in brace technology and comfort I was waiting for. If your on the fence about a brace, have had past issues with fit and/or comfort, you owe it to yourself to check this out.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Re: Atlas Air neck brace

Postby ks9mm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks for the review!! I did also try Leatt neck brace, but it was not compatible with my plated collarbone as well.

I do want to check Fusion 3.0. shoulder cups do look smallish but I think they are well padded and it has nice Ribs protection..
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
Husky TE510 supermoto sold
ks9mm

Postby GMP » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Fusion is bulky, looks like it will be very hot in summer, and the shoulder cups are just all wrong. It's similar to their chest protector and that's not so great in the shoulder protection dept. from the reviews. Rib protection is good though. The brace part is somewhat restrictive. It's also $400 for one piece, and CPs don't last that long. This Atlas Air is very nice if you have hardware in the shoulder. It's so easy to R&R that the integrated concept of the Fusion is irrelevant.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Mslow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:24 am

GMP wrote:Fusion is bulky, looks like it will be very hot in summer, and the shoulder cups are just all wrong. It's similar to their chest protector and that's not so great in the shoulder protection dept. from the reviews. Rib protection is good though. The brace part is somewhat restrictive. It's also $400 for one piece, and CPs don't last that long. This Atlas Air is very nice if you have hardware in the shoulder. It's so easy to R&R that the integrated concept of the Fusion is irrelevant.

Glenn, I tried to find an neckbrace a while back and had a hard time finding one that fits, knowing my body type, do you think the Atlas Air would fit? The A-Stars and Leatt were both too narrow chest to back.
2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:36 am

I think its more likely to fit than the others. I have a large and had to adjust it one step tighter and add the 8mm shim pads, and I'm maybe a little thicker chest to back than average for my size. Also the frame is more flexible and lower profile. I have it permanently mounted to my Fox Airframe CP and its awesome, easy on/off with no hinges or latches, just emergency release latch. Go to the Atlas site, they show you how to measure and determine basic size, then they adjust from there. If large is in your range you can try mine.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Mslow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:02 am

GMP wrote:I think its more likely to fit than the others. I have a large and had to adjust it one step tighter and add the 8mm shim pads, and I'm maybe a little thicker chest to back than average for my size. Also the frame is more flexible and lower profile. I have it permanently mounted to my Fox Airframe CP and its awesome, easy on/off with no hinges or latches, just emergency release latch. Go to the Atlas site, they show you how to measure and determine basic size, then they adjust from there. If large is in your range you can try mine.

Will do, and if I buy one maybe you can show me how you have yours set-up, I have the Fox Airframe too
2014 300rr
Mslow

Return to Product Reviews