Is 300RR too much power coming from a 350RR?

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Is 300RR too much power coming from a 350RR?

Postby Balkan boy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:03 am

It sound to me like an X-Trainer might be a good choice for you.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby GMP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:10 am

Four strokes just have a heavier front end feel that, combined with more actuall weight, gives them inherent stability on average to open terrain. They are much less happy grinding through tight rough trail on a hot day. The 300RR is a great do it all bike, and a better tech trail bike than a four stroke for most. It will climb anything as long as the throttle is open, never stalls, never gets hot, and can be ridden on or off the pipe. My brother has been on a four stroke for awhile, rode my bike a bit and now he is picking up his 300RR this weekend.

Get the Force combo guard from Beta Australia, pipe problem solved! Four strokes have a small header but big muffler that gets beat up in falls and leverages subframes.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby pguerci » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:49 am

Balkan boy wrote:It sound to me like an X-Trainer might be a good choice for you.

Thought about that also but think I won't like it
Pablo
'15 Beta 300RR; '13 Beta 350 Factory; '12 Beta 350RR; '11 Beta 450RR; '08 WR450
pguerci

Postby ricoyam » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 pm

pguerci wrote:
Balkan boy wrote:It sound to me like an X-Trainer might be a good choice for you.

I was thinking a X-trainer would be a nice replacement for my 200 EXC. Got to spend the extra to get the kick starter kit too. I have a short inseam so anything lower is good for me.
My thinking on the 300 comes from my experience with the KTM. I'd think only an expert could use the extra displacement over say a 250. The Beta does sound like its tuned softer so it probably doesn't have the hit of the KTM. I believe they even say that in the comparison tests.
Much of the lighter front end feel on a 2T is because of the throttle response. That's the same thing that can make a larger 2T more of a handful for lesser riders. Also a 4T needs to corner with a bit of power or else the front end will wash out because of compression braking.
I have to admit the principle reason I bought a 430 RS is because I wanted to get back into dual sporting. If I were buying for a trail bike exclusively I probably would have opted for a 250 RR.
I do enjoy riding big bore 4Ts though. I won a national championship in AHRMA riding a BSA B50 powered Cheney against the faster and lighter CZs, Maicos and Husqvarnas.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Balkan boy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:47 am

pguerci wrote:Thought about that also but think I won't like it

XTrainer probably seems like a come-down after your Factory bike, but sacrificing some racy aspects for the joy of riding isn't a bad thing.

I only mention this because I know a guy who made a mistake of choosing 250RR instead of the XTrainer because he's vain. He's also a complete beginner in enduro, short and light (60kg) and without money. He insisted that the XTrainer is a girls bike and he needs a race bike because he rides scooters really well.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby pguerci » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 am

Balkan boy wrote:
pguerci wrote:Thought about that also but think I won't like it

XTrainer probably seems like a come-down after your Factory bike, but sacrificing some racy aspects for the joy of riding isn't a bad thing.

I only mention this because I know a guy who made a mistake of choosing 250RR instead of the XTrainer because he's vain. He's also a complete beginner in enduro, short and light (60kg) and without money. He insisted that the XTrainer is a girls bike and he needs a race bike because he rides scooters really well.

Your suggestion is totally appropriate, I've analyzed xtrainer a lot, but I think that its a pure trail bike so if you what to race at least a bit with it I'm afraid wont work good, 45mm forks set for trail as those shouldn't go well on speed at all (I had a 450 2011 with similar forks and suffered a lot on speed). Also here in Argentina sell them used later on would be an issue, it does not seem to be a good market for this bike here, however are just arraiving.
Pablo
pguerci

Postby pguerci » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:06 am

ricoyam wrote:
pguerci wrote:

...My thinking on the 300 comes from my experience with the KTM. I'd think only an expert could use the extra displacement over say a 250. The Beta does sound like its tuned softer so it probably doesn't have the hit of the KTM. I believe they even say that in the comparison tests.
Much of the lighter front end feel on a 2T is because of the throttle response. That's the same thing that can make a larger 2T more of a handful for lesser riders.

You're right, KTM 300 is not an option for me at all, even been 300 both I already know I won't enjoy KTM motor, I've tested it already. My feeling with the Beta 300 is, as all of you seem to be alligned on, is more smooth, powerful enough though, probably fitting an intermediate rider segment where I could be in.

Here there is an excellent review prom a pro rider in Spain that uses to compare bikes and rank them on several aspects of the bike, only problem is that it's in spanish :roll: , but basically agrees with all of you are discussing here. Take a look, think you can get something our of it even being in spanish.
http://www.endurodelbueno.com/prueba-y- ... 0-rr-2014/
Pablo
pguerci

Postby pguerci » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:15 am

Well guys, I've made my decision already and will try a Beta 300RR 2015, now I've to look for a good deal.

Your comments helped me a lot to understand better the bike and the comparison, some other good reviews from the Internet helped me too. Unfortunatelly I couldn't ride one to try it on my self, but I think I won't get surprissed.

I will let you know my own review once I've ridden the bike a bit.

Thanks one more time
Pablo
pguerci

Postby pguerci » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:21 am

Shifting the topic a bit, regarding Sachs suspenssion.

I'm thinking on trying the Racetech Gold Valve Kit if I feel by my own what all reviews are saying: suspenssion is too smooth, bottoms easily, a bit unstable on speed, some says also the clickers doesn't show too much difference on stock setting of the fork.

What do you know from this kit? Would help improving performance and sensitivity to clickers?
Pablo
pguerci

Postby Balkan boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 am

Any particular reason (other then cost) for wanting Sachs forks instead of the Marzocchi forks that come with the race model?
In any case, wait a few more weeks when Beta will show us what they are going to use to replace Marzocchi on 2016. models. It could be some new CC fork from Sachs, or WP, or even KYB.
400RR
Balkan boy

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews