Steg Pegz to eliminate arm pump & reduce fatigue

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Steg Pegz to eliminate arm pump & reduce fatigue

Postby betajuice » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:48 pm

steg pegz are little rubber pucks that you can anchor your boot against so that gripping your bike with your legs becomes very easy... once you get the hang of them you don't need to grip with the legs much at all, and it takes almost all the load off your arms and hands.

the majority of guys who use these love them, almost everyone in our little riding group uses them now and they are very popular here in australia where they are made. however, a small percentage of riders struggle with the idea of NOT gripping the bike for a second or two on very steep descents so that your boots can slide past the rubber pucks. the vast majority have no issue with this, or just take a ride or two to get used to it.

they are expensive, but as an older guy these have become a must as carpal tunnel syndrome and the first signs of arthritis are kicking in. this is a review i did on the basic steg pegz last year: https://youtu.be/gPyg20KnP7I

a few months ago i switched to their desert king version... not because i'm desert racing but due to the carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis kicking in more. these are really beefed up - there are three rubber pucks each side, and the plates are thicker so they don't bend under the strain.

the aussies who desert race always use these and rave about them. but i wasn't sure how they'd go with the technical riding we do. after a few months i'm loving them. once the legs are locked in the arms and hands have virtually no load on them at all. the only issue i've found (other than expensive.. ouch) is on very steep descents i have to spread the legs quite a bit to slide the boots past the pucks. i'm used to doing this from trials riding but some riders would find it very awkward.

it's not much of an issue on normal downhill runs as we've been applying the body positioning that chris birch taught us in our coaching sessions and on intermediate descents we don't move back on the bike but just crouch down to lower the center of gravity.

i think the desert king version could be great for anyone into desert riding, mostly flat terrain, or like me really struggling with medical conditions that make taking all stress off the upper body a priority.

here's a video review i've done of the desert king version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtmJku0YMII
betajuice

Re: Steg Pegz to eliminate arm pump & reduce fatigue

Postby Johnno » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Originally, nearly all the people who said to me: have you seen those Steg Pegz? and wanted to try them, wanted to be able to pull sick stand up wheel stands and for no other reason.

Vids like Barry's have changed that a bit. I nearly got to try some when a mate offered to swap bikes for a section, 2013 250 EXC 6 Days for my 2004 DRZ, what a bargain!

But my boots are a bit too Herman Munster and his gear lever was set too low so I had to pass.

I have to say there is plenty of riding skill I don't possess and at my age may not acquire, but I can do stand up mono's. :)
Loose...
Johnno

Postby betajuice » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:13 pm

lol they do make long wheelies easier, or at least less tiring on the arms.

it can be a tricky thing trying them on someone else's bike, if they like having them adjusted forward more than usual it could leave you thinking wtf and swearing off them... heard of that sort of thing happening quite a bit.

hard to put a number on it but at a guess i'd say one in ten guys give them a good workout then eventually decide not to run with them, and it's usually around finding it hard to momentarily stop gripping the bike with the legs so much on very steep descents so the boots slide past the rubber pucks.
betajuice

Postby GMP » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:56 am

Interesting, but sorry price is totally out of line. You could design and make something like that in a day from off the shelf materials just to try, then if you really like them enough refine it or pay up if its worth it to you. I guess thats why I've never seen a single set over here.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby mcnut » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:09 am

Like many products, it looks like a solution to a problem I don't have.
mcnut

Postby wasatchcomm » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:35 am

great video and review betajuice

thank you for putting the time and effort into these product test,reviews,and videos.

you are a great asset to this forum.
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby GMP » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 am

Don't get me wrong, all I'm disagreeing with is the price, not the concept or opinion without trying them.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby betajuice » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:18 pm

wasatchcomm wrote:great video and review betajuice
thank you for putting the time and effort into these product test,reviews,and videos.
you are a great asset to this forum.

thanks wasatchcomm, just got plenty of time on my hands nowadays and happy to put something back into the riding community in terms of dodgy training videos and the like. :lol:

GMP wrote:Don't get me wrong, all I'm disagreeing with is the price, not the concept or opinion without trying them.

i'm with you on that glenn. i actually rang them a while back and asked why they cost so much and he said he hasn't got a big mark up on them... just a relatively small sales volume and the distributors take a big chunk apparently. but there are plenty of guys worldwide just making their own who actually say on the forums they'd buy them if they were about 30% cheaper.

i can't help feeling costs could be lowered by not etching the brand name into the metal plates and the rubber pucks etc? in any case there's no way i could ride as often or as long as i do at the moment with that carpal tunnel and arthritic stuff happening so i'm still a happy chappy.
betajuice

Postby Gibnut » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 pm

I am from Australia and am picking up a '14 250rr with 28hrs on it on Friday - just a little excited.

I had Stegpegz on my previous bike (TE300) & really rate them, particularly when tired. They do reduce arm pump and helped me in tight terrain with balance and feel.

Yes, they are exxy - luckily, mine were already fitted when I purchased the bike - but worth it for extra control at all speeds.
Gibnut

Postby Johnno » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:22 am

Bloke I ride with occasionally said his Husaberg came fitted with household door stops bolted on in lieu of Stegz.

Genius.

he took them off though.
Loose...
Johnno

Next

Return to Product Reviews