TUbliss tubeless tire system - a big thumbs up

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

TUbliss tubeless tire system - a big thumbs up

Postby betajuice » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 pm

with the slow technical riding and training vids we've done over the past year, many suggested TUbliss would work well but i read about a few niggling issues the first generation TUbliss had. but everyone was raving about the second generation TUbliss, and i was getting annoyed with the short lifespan, difficulty changing, and lack of adjustable pressure with mousses.

so here's my review after about a dozen rides... this is one of the few products which i think could be standard on every dirt bike sold. initial cost is high (on par with mousses) but to date the longevity suggests the long-term cost would probably be about the same as tubes...

VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ZmjKWNifka

for slower technical riding, the TUbliss has been brilliant. what surprised me ws the ability to go down to zero psi even with the soft michelins the beta RR300 came with. at zero psi i found i found there was a bit of tyre roll on the rear if pushing it hard through corners at speed, but this disappeared with 2psi or higher whereas the mousses rolled around a lot once they were softened to the equivalent of about 5psi or less.

i was dubious about claims that the high pressure inner tube firmed up the sidewalls but this appears to be the case... even at zero psi the rims didn't impact on rocks and tree roots until the speed was up a little. but i must admit if i was going to hit nasty stuff at high speed i'd want to run 8psi at least, or 6 ply tires.

while very good, the TUbliss isn't quite in the same ballpark as a mousse for protecting your rims. but for me all the advantages outweigh that extra protection a mousse can provide, especially as i'm not into slamming the bike through rocks at high speed.

a lot of guys are running with six ply tyres like the bridgestone ed78 so they can run zero to 3psi and get that extra rim protection due to the stiffer sidewalls, i might experiment with this once the michies wear out.

personally i still think the mousse has its place... for riders who want to slam into rocks and roots at full speed and want that bit of extra rim protection, or those in serious competition who wouldn't want to take the few minutes it takes to fix a puncture with a tubeless repair kit. and of course don't mind the cost, short lifespan, messy difficult fitting etc.
betajuice

Return to Product Reviews