First ride - Beta RR250 2014

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

First ride - Beta RR250 2014

Postby Gibnut » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:10 pm

I got the bike last week & de-adr'd it after it was regoed in NSW - I live in Sydney.

21hrs, purchased by the last owner new in September last year.

Additions - ProPower CF pipe guard (thanks, Roon!), Bark Buster Jet hand guards, GibboGard (tm) homemade linkage guard & 6lt of fresh 98/Motorex oil @ 50/1.

I set the bike to totally stock as per manual so I'd have a baseline - jetting, clickers, tyre pressures. Set the sag, adjusted 'bar & levers.

Ergos - it's a smaller bike than a 'berg & a lot skinnier through the seat/tank/shrouds. Riding position ('bar in the forward mount holes) was neutral & felt comfortable straight away - I'm 6'1" & change with simian limbs, 88kg on the bike. Getting back & forward while standing was very easy straight away.

The seat is fine - I don't sit much. Dabbing/paddlin' is heaps easier than my TE due to lower seat height.

Easy bike to grip with you boots, too - no Stegz and no arm pump.

Suspension - I'm the kind of rider who doesn't get too carried away with boingers; I seem to be able to ride around niggly issues pretty well - my 2010 300EXC forks notwithstanding. They were not easy to love.

Sachs have a bad reputation it seems with a lot of people - I'm happy to report the suspension on the Beta just works. Smooth fork action, no hint of bottoming. No diving under brakes, no high speed issues bar a rock at 80km/h getting me a bit out of shape.

The shock & linkage work beautifully - drive and traction, no screwing around.
I normally am a fan of Michelin tyres, but the rear E/C III (brand new) was all over the joint when on the gas - maybe it's the power? :D
Rear end compliant over rocks & settled in s/t. Less pogo than a PDS in my non-technical opinion. Might need a bit quicker rebound, though..

Stock springs feel right.

Steering - Excellent. Miles better than a KTM/'berg. Sharp like a Gas Gas - caught me off guard first up as it turns very quick.

Motor - hell-oooo! I read all the froth on the 250 engine & it's true. Sure, it's not quite a 300 off-idle, but the power is butter smooth, strong enough for a trail rider like me & very easy to use. Jetting was spot on, no spooge, a little smoke. I remember Jakobi posted words to the effect of "Are you sure you want a 250? Clutchy, peaky?..". This bike has oodles of torque - with it's clean clutch action & the right gear it's a dream to ride. It does have a strong & eye-opening mid-top, but I wouldn't call it angry. It climbed rocky ol' Menai today just as well as my 300.
And I was probably faster & smoother in s/t straight away, to boot.

Brakes - excellent. Brand new pads (the bike came with new hoops, pads, chain & sprockets) were a bit ponderous at first but settled well.

Build quality/components - excellent. Dead sexy to look at, Brembo clutch & Nissin brakes, Neken-made 'bar. Speedo's neat.

My riding buddy's Gas Gas boiled today - the Beta didn't. I've never seen a Gasser boil! Tick!

E-start - flawless. But my 'berg's was, too, cos I looked after it. We'll see..

Niggles - strong smell of fuel around the bike all ride but no evidence of spillage? Side stand is moronic, but that's what Eucalyptus trees are for. Head nut was coming loose, no biggie.

Summary - fun. Fun. FUN!! Isn't that what it's about? I gelled with the bike almost immediately & I'm a gumby trail-basher. I was nervous at first - new bike 'n all- but the RR settled me down easy.

GREAT motor, trialsy ergos, very well equipped - FMF exhaust, V-Force 4, Brembo clutch, etc, balanced chassis, good brakes, steers like a TM.

Well done, Beta.
Gibnut

Re: First ride - Beta RR250 2014

Postby Enmerdeur » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Gibnut wrote:strong smell of fuel around the bike all ride but no evidence of spillage?

Lower your float level.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Gibnut » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Enmerdeur wrote:
Gibnut wrote:strong smell of fuel around the bike all ride but no evidence of spillage?

Lower your float level.

Will do - thanks for the tip.
Gibnut

Postby wasatchcomm » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:55 am

awesome
glad you like it

their is a lot of that going on around here!!!
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby Gibnut » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:21 pm

I swapped out the EC III tyres for S-12 xc's before a ride yesterday - vast improvement in forest s/t and in the sandstone of Sydney.

Yes, they wear a bit quicker than some (particularly the rear) - but I have found even half worn they offer better feel and grip than any other tyre I've tried.

I will also try 13/50 gearing when my current (almost new) 13/48 set up is done - it's a little tall occasionally.

LOVE this bike!
Gibnut

Postby Gibnut » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Have shortened silencer to 330mm - bike feels snappier off-idle.
Have fitted 13/50 gearing - love it.
Have fitted NECJ, 3rd pos - love it.
I may go to a 300 top end at 60hrs - for the kind of riding we like to do (& the advancing years, ahem), max bottom end is key.
I have, however, enjoyed the renewed focus on clutch control the 250 requires. Still want to improve my riding at 47 :geek:

I don't think I'll buy another brand of bike for a long time - the Beta just fits me.
Gibnut

Return to Product Reviews