Tibial Plateau Fracture

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture

Postby Metalefty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Thnx, this is my view for the next 5 weeks.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby BassMan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Feel your pain, haven't been on the bike since October 15th. Fractured my fibula the last race of the year. Well I was on it after a did the top end, up and down the alley with my right leg sticking out. My wife was not very impressed. Lol
BassMan

Postby Lonesome Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Metalefty wrote:Thnx, this is my view for the next 5 weeks.

^^^^ :lol: That's funny!
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Johnny Depp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Sorry for your misfortune. You almost sheared off the side of your knee, you can see the cracks in the Xray. Do not attempt any load bearing even if you feel up to it until Doc says to. If you put that piece out of alignment it will cause obvious problems. That's about as far as you can go without surgery, and you should be able to get a complete recovery. 6 weeks is not likely to do it, I'd say double. Vitamin load on Calcium and others as you see fit. Lots of quality water. Sleeping will be rough for a while, I hate pain killers but to get through a few nights it may help.
I fractured my tibia way up high from an impact with the bars, yours is more likely from landing on your foot and impacting upward. It was 11 months before I chose to ride again (and not get divorced) but I feel like I could have been good after 4 months, although I tried to use a cane after 2 months and it regressed a bit. About 3 months with 1 or 2 crutches. The only lingering problem is an occasional pop and a tight achilles from non use.
You got lucky, and the bike looks like it came out OK? Did you lose concentration and drive off the ledge, or just take it too fast and not hold the corner? (if you remember) I don't know what kind of work you do, but I hope you can manage the economic side of your temporary disability. Good luck and God Bless you!
Johnny Depp

Postby Metalefty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Thnx for the advise JD, yeah, I overcooked a blind turn and didn't make it. I can barely remember going off the trail then I remember my body getting tossed back and forth falling into the ravine but it's real fuzzy and I didn't feel anything. I think it was me going unconcious after the initial impact.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Metalefty » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Went to the doc today, good and bad news. Good news is I can walk again, bad news is that when the swelling in my knee went down and the doc examined it she found my meniscus is torn, so Wednesday I go in for surgery then off of leg for three days and PT for several weeks. Also, my big toe has been swelling up and sensitive lately, x-ray showed arthritis and a fracture in my toe, good thing is the fracture is healing. I was hoping to get back on the bike soon. Probably April.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Metalefty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:22 pm

A few weeks ago I'm recovering from my meniscus surgery, which was going great except for the saline leaking from one of the stitches, it had stopped for a few days then came back again. The next morning I get up and everything is normal, I make and eat breakfast and on the laptop for about an hour, when I stood up it felt like I had tweaked my knee, I limped around taking care of things then I sat down for about half an hour, when I stood up it was worse, did a few more things sat down for a while got up and now the pain is getting bad. I called my ortho doc and she said to keep an eye on the saline color and take it easy on the leg a couple days. I couldn't sleep that night from the pain so in the morning I told the wife I was going to the ER, when I was getting dressed my ortho doc called and asked how I was doing and since it was Saturday I told her I was getting ready to leave for the ER, she said she was on call and to come to her office. At this point I can't walk so I had to break out the crutches again, when I get there she uses that big thick needled syringe to pull out fluid from my knee, ok, thats a kind of pain I haven't felt before. So I go next door to the hospital until we here from the lab about the sample. A short time later the results are a Staph infection, so I have an IV in each hand and a Piccline in my inner arm, for those of you who have never heard of a Piccline it's an IV/catheter that goes in your upper inner arm and reaches almost to your heart, it's for the antibiotic to be injected intravenously, now into surgery I go and I wake with a less sore leg and a drain coming out of my wrapping. After several days of exercises and tests and pulling out my drain(ow again)they say I'm about ready to go home, but no, the wrapping is undone and the doc pinches one of my sutures to make blood drool out, she does it again and the blood doesn't look right, back to surgery the next day. So I wake up from surgery on Wednesday with another drain coming out of my leg, later that day the doc comes in and says that should be it and says I can go home the next day while she proceeds to pull out my drain, it won't budge, she takes off the wrapping and tugs more, at this time tears are nearly running down my face then POP, it comes out, I didn't want anyone talking to me for a half hour until I recovered from the pain deep within my soul. On top of this, I haven't pooped in six days, but that ended right before I left the hospital to come home. Now that I'm home I had a case of saline and antibiotics delivered and a nurse came over to show me how to use it all. So twice a day I have to intravenously inject saline and antibiotics for the next 28 days and use crutches for 2 weeks while exercising leg muscles back to regular strength. I thought I was getting back on the bike in mid March but now it looks like May. The leg fracture and meniscus surgery was a cake walk compared to this past week. The moral of the story kids is that Staph infections are a serious issue to not be taken lightly, please take care of those cuts and stitches.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Lonesome Dave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:48 am

That is absolutely horrible. My wife went through all of that years ago. She nearly died. After a couple more surgeries, she walked around (mostly laid) with a intravenous pump on her hip injecting antibiotics through her "pick" line straight into her heart because the med was so strong. I remember sitting at her bedside and she had 5 doctors standing around her discussing the plan of action. That was some scary sh...

Good luck, hopefully the worst is over. Get better and hang in there. LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Johnny Depp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Metalefty I am so sorry to hear that story. Stay strong! I hate hospitals, you are so much better off at home. No damn infections running around. That was a close call for you and you still have a ways to go. Don't take anything for granted when it comes to your health. Pain worse than childbirth changes you. Don't be in too big a hurry to ride again without making sure you are solid. Hopefully the worst is behind you and you are nearly home free. God Bless you and happy trails ahead!
Johnny Depp

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:14 am

So sorry to hear of your pain.. The good thing is they are fixing you. I hope you get well fast and I guess you can watch lots of how to ride videos now... I know I did in the couple of heart problems stints in the hospital then recovering at home.. Riding will feel that much better when it comes.
hawaiidirtrider

PreviousNext

Return to Injury & Recovery