Stenosing Tenosynovitis

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Stenosing Tenosynovitis

Postby Clearvu1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:41 pm

AKA Trigger Finger. Fingers lock up after an hour or so. Anybody have advise about grips, bars, etc.?
Clearvu1

Re: Stenosing Tenosynovitis

Postby andoman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Sorry for your malady.

2 thoughts:
-A larger diameter grip will hold the muscles in a less flexed position and may help. I really like the Progrip 737 gel for off-road. Cushy and a little larger diameter. Also has a really nice built in radius transition from horizontal to inboard vertical that negates the need for a grip doughnut.
-On my track bike, I just put on a set of Renthal kevlar tapered half-waffle. The taper mimics the changing radius of the closed hand from index finger to pinky. I raced them at Glen Helen this weekend and I have a new favorite grip. Cushy and tacky, so, easy on the palms and great grip when fatigued.

Good Luck!!!

EDIT: As for bars, flexxbars or the new carbon fiber bendy ones (I forget the brand). A must have when every bit of comfort directly allows more miles on the bike.
andoman

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Here's another thing to consider... the size of your gloves are too small. If you close your hand into a fist and the gloves pull your hand back open you are fighting your glove and it's added effort. I now use a 3xl fox glove . now when I close my fist my glove stays in place.

Other things may involve drink mix's to help. i use this drink mix called accelerade.. or something like that. it helps with cramps. .. another weird one has to do with regular yellow mustard. .. guys use it after they ride.. and during even.. somehow the mustard helps address cramps. I saw it once on cnn or some other news show.. but in some of our hardcore brutal extreme hare and hounds guys keep the mustard packets in their pack and for sure keep it at the truck at the end of the race and suck some down. it's weird but it works. I actually saw it work . I did a hare and hound that took 7 hrs to finish earlier this year. Few finished.. hard one.. long 3 gas checks. Anyway one guy was cramping up about half way through.. not just his fingers but his legs and arms.. I was set up with electrolites and had a little mustard and ate right that day. I gave my mustard to this guy and we continued for a few more hours.. it had helped him almost immediately.. idk if it was part in his mind or not but it's widely known with local riders for hard rides.. but we continued and rode together.. hard ride..but we finished.. It definitely helped him and I didn't cramp.. just a small one in a section of my thigh..but it went away.. Anyway that's another thing .. for the long hard extreme rides at least.

For me cramps happen also when i'm not breathing and being calm while riding.. i'll be grabbing the bars too tight. i constantly check and recheck so that i don't freeze a little especially in hard tech sections and stop breathing while pushing through.. even if for a few seconds.. it sort of accumulates and i'll start to knot up etc with the build up of not breathing for a series of sections... So although its different.. swimming helps me keep a cadence and force me to take more even steady breaths . That is what helps me.. I'll catch myself tensing up.. then i'll just say to myself.. ok reset... breath.. and i adjust my pace a bit too to figure the fastest I can go but still not bonking out for the period of time I'm riding...... i like those progrips gels too. i figure if it's good for dakar riders it ought to be good for me.. but grips are personal.. one should just try a variety to figure out what works best... other than good setup on ergos for your bike.. maybe seat height.. maybe bars and position.. pegs maybe set further backward or seat higher.. it's kind of all part of the mix.. so much comes into play and everyone is a little different. height, riding style,..type of bike etc..

The of course there's just overall fitness.. that's something to be worked on. .. I'm not fit at all right now.. but get away with techniques and experience to carry much longer riding than i sort of would years ago. I still squeeze tennis balls etc.. when watching tv.. but not often enough.. then there's things like getting some flexx bars.. cost some bucks but guys love them and it helps the ride overall. I'd get it if I had extra money but maybe later.
You could also get one of those midwest levers. makes the lever pull a little softer.. I had it on the 300rr that got stolen from me. it worked good but the stock levers aren't bad either.. i also have decent grip just from riding.. I had a cr 250 and had cr 500 springs in it for many years.. and i just got used to riding it even though the grip was harder.. and i ride technical so i use the clutch lever alot.. That's another thing.. maybe just work through it too.. ride time just builds some grip strength. I am out of shape but I don't have problems with hands cramping.. very very infrequent problems with cramping.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Natedoc808 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:18 am

Trigger finger is driven by one mechanism: inflammation. This drives thickening due to deposition of scar tissue on both the flexor tendon and the sheath in which it runs. There are some tendon gliding exercises that can help it tremendously, prophylactic splinting for when not on the bike to unload the tissue but still have a functioning hand. If the finger literally gets stuck and you have to pry it into extension again then you're looking at needing more intense medical intervention such as cortisone injection (which sometimes permanently eliminates the problem) or a surgical release of the first annular pulley (which is most likely effected) which allows the thickened tendon to slide unhindered and without getting stuck proximal to the pulley when the digit is flexed (triggering). You can immobilize any of the three knuckles of the triggering digit but the most effective way is to block the MP joint (first knuckle of hand/finger) from flexing. PM if you need more info, I'm a hand therapist.
Natedoc808

Return to Injury & Recovery