the time a 350 Permanently damaged my wrist

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

the time a 350 Permanently damaged my wrist

Postby capt.licorice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:27 am

Hello all, I'm 18 and I've broken 10 bones but none have left permanent damage, but I have a mystery pain when I work my right wrist.
Heres some background, I live in Nova Scotia Canada and race on a intermediate level in the NSORRA hare scramble series. The 4th race last year was my worst. I was on a 2015 beta 350rr for a more or less test ride. (I now own a 2015 300rr) on my second lap I clipped a small rock that jerked the bars right so hard that my left hand was ripped from the bar and my right hand hit the gas, hard, propelling me and the bike directly into a tree forcing my wrist to bend back to far. I was checked by a on site paramedic who diagnosed a sprained wrist and 2 weeks of recovery. That was 7 months ago. It still gives me pain. I've had multiple xrays that showed nothing wrong. Next up is a C.T. just from writing this my wrist is hurting. I'm afraid at this point the damage is next to irreversible without surgery
I'll update after my next appointment
capt.licorice

Re: the time a 350 Permanently damaged my wrist

Postby mtdirtbag » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 am

I broke my wrist a long time ago, orthopedic surgeon friend set it for me and when it was healed gave me a series of exercises for range of motion. Being the smart young fellow I was at the time I quit doing them once it started feeling better, well as soon as I started riding again I would experience pain in that wrist to the point that I would lose feeling in the hand on that side. Went back to doing what he had given me in exercises and lo and behold it worked! They were very simple to do and only require what you have in your shop, starting with a small hammer with a light head you place your wrist on a table or other solid flat spot and keeping your arm from turning you rotate the hammer left and right towards the surface. It's been over 40 years that I did this but I believe the recommendation was 10 reps each direction. Using the same hammer you then move to the edge of the surface and rotate forward and back doing the same amount of reps. Do three sets for each or in the beginning as many sets as you can stand. Once you can do that many easily, use a heavier hammer and so on. I don't think it took long to strengthen it, but then again it was a while ago.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby sasrocks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:22 am

get an xray. you may have broken the scaphoid bone a small triangluar bone. it has quite poor blood supply and rarely heals w/o surgery. I broken mine in my 20's and the wrist has been weaker than normal every since. you can strengthen the muscles to compensate but you will experience pain with certain movements. my pain is centered near the top of the inboard soft spot between the writ bone and the base of the thumb.
sasrocks

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Why didn't you title this "the time a tree Permanently damaged my wrist"? :lol:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby sasrocks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:27 pm

twowheels wrote:Why didn't you title this "the time a tree Permanently damaged my wrist"? :lol:

When I fall, street or dirt, the reason is always my tires. They ran out of traction, I did not run out of talent.
sasrocks

Postby Hammer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Man I wish I was 18 and had a sore wrist!
Hammer

Postby ricoyam » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:02 pm

sasrocks wrote:
twowheels wrote:Why didn't you title this "the time a tree Permanently damaged my wrist"? :lol:

When I fall, street or dirt, the reason is always my tires. They ran out of traction, I did not run out of talent.

You've never crashed from too much traction?
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby ricoyam » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Hammer wrote:Man I wish I was 18 and had a sore wrist!

That's what I was thinking too.
I was just going to say get used to the pain. At 60 I hurt just sitting here watching basketball and typing on the iPad.
Life is short, don't sweat the small things and be glad you're still feeling pain. Start worrying when you can't.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby sasrocks » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:39 am

ricoyam wrote:
sasrocks wrote:

You've never crashed from too much traction?

I just picked up another excuse.....
sasrocks

Postby Survivor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:13 am

capt.licorice wrote:Hello all, I'm 18 and I've broken 10 bones but none have left permanent damage, but I have a mystery pain when I work my right wrist.
Heres some background, I live in Nova Scotia Canada and race on a intermediate level in the NSORRA hare scramble series. The 4th race last year was my worst. I was on a 2015 beta 350rr for a more or less test ride. (I now own a 2015 300rr) on my second lap I clipped a small rock that jerked the bars right so hard that my left hand was ripped from the bar and my right hand hit the gas, hard, propelling me and the bike directly into a tree forcing my wrist to bend back to far. I was checked by a on site paramedic who diagnosed a sprained wrist and 2 weeks of recovery. That was 7 months ago. It still gives me pain. I've had multiple xrays that showed nothing wrong. Next up is a C.T. just from writing this my wrist is hurting. I'm afraid at this point the damage is next to irreversible without surgery
I'll update after my next appointment

MY SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU.
1)Pain is pain and sometime pain is intolerable or it stops you from riding to your maximum.
2)If it stops you from riding to your maximum, get a second opinion from another orthopedist and I would also ask for an "MRI". Also make sure to have a physiotherapist (a recommended one) to help you but providing him first with all your results from previous exams like "X Ray", CT Scan and MRI once you have done it.
3) I am a fairly old man (67 old) and I am lucky for the fact that at my age, they really listen to me and follow up how well I am doing. For a young man like you, they sometime assume that it will heal by itself or that you are not tough enough. I completely disagree with that as I was playing junior A hockey at that age and I was tougher than now. So if the pain does not get away, DO NOT ACCEPT IT AND FIND A DOCTOR THAT CAN HELP YOU. You have another 60 0R 70 YEARS TO LIVE, IT IS A LONG TIME TO LIVE WITH PAIN YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE !

I don't know much but I have survived three head cancer in 34 months with major treatments, three incidents with broken ribs (two in road race track and one in off road motorcycle),two broken collar bones (one in hockey and one road race track), a broken shoulder blade ( on road race track) and a knee injury last December ( sprain medial colateral ligament plus two tears in the meniscus and also bone edema on the tibia plateau ).
FROM ALL THOSE BROKEN BONES, I HAVE NO PAIN AT ALL (or very mild pain) EXCEPT FOR THE RECENT KNEE INJURY FOR WHICH I HAVE A TOP PHYSIOTHERAPIST THAT HAS ALMOST REDUCE THE PAIN TO A MILD THREE. THE PHYSIO AND I AGREE WE WILL GET THE PAIN TO A MILD ONE VERY SHORTLY AS THE SEASON IS BACK!!
So young man, do not accept the pain, find the right physio or doctor to help you beat it.
Got luck and heal well to 100%.
You are to young to suffer all your life.
Survivor

Next

Return to Injury & Recovery