Tibial Plateau Fracture

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Tibial Plateau Fracture

Postby Metalefty » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:15 am

So this past Monday I'm riding my Italian Queen hard, which she really likes, when I come around this blind sharp turn at about 40mph only to not make it and crash into this ravine. I was knocked unconscious and when I woke up I heard my buddies riding by, they didn't see me in there, it's about 9 ft. deep. It took 10 minutes to realize what had happened and I could barely remember falling in. So I start moving and notice my right knee is swollen and hurting bad, I got my phone out but there is no signal down in there so I try climbing up my bike but with my bum knee it's not working. Now my two riding buddies had gotten there an hour before me and I was looking for them, if I hadn't of crashed I would have meet them right where I thought they would be, BUT, they didn't know where I was going to meet them, so they didn't know to come looking for a crashed rider, which means, no one is coming to look for me for a while and when they do, they have no idea where to look, so now I'm getting desperate. I threw my googles and helmet up on the trail just in case someone were to come by. After more failed attempts to climb up my bike I hobbled over to two straight up dirt walls, so I put my back up against one wall and my good leg across to the other wall, then my bad leg kind of anchored me in place so I could quickly move my good leg up a little then shuffle my back up then repeat the process to the top. From waking up till I got out about an hour had gone by, then my phone was getting one bar and I was able to call my buddies and they came and got me. At the hospital, my CT scan came back normal and my x-rays showed a tibial plateau fracture on my right leg. I didn't need surgery because the fracture is still lined up, but now I have to stay off of the leg for 6 weeks, at least it was the last ride of the year, it's snowing now.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture

Postby Enmerdeur » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 am

Yikes!
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby twowheels » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58 pm

That could have been way uglier than it was. Glad you'll make a full recovery.

As much as I love riding - and I do love riding - I don't do it alone. Be safe guys.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby dibbs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Wow! Yeah that could have been alot nastier (if thats a word) But glad you got out and will be able to ride again
dibbs

Postby mcnut » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Throttle stuck:

That was 3 and 1/2 years ago. I'm riding better than ever today.
mcnut

Postby Metalefty » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Mine doesn't look nearly that bad.
[url][URL=http://s294.photobucket.com/user/Offroad67/media/20170106_202450.jpg.html]Image[/url] [/url]
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Lonesome Dave » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:44 am

I've broken my left tibial plateau twice. First time a crack and it healed fine.
Second time, surgery with 3 screws (still carry the screws) and a bunch of other broken lower leg bones. I wheelchaired it for awhile on that one!
Anyway, point of this......rehab, rehab, rehab!
Today, my left knee is much stronger and better than my right knee.

I'm an old guy now! Five years ago (55yoa) I broke my right shoulder. And again; rehab, rehab, rehab!
Once again my right shoulder is stronger than my left. My left shoulder I've dislocated so many times I lost count.

The point of all this........rehab, rehab, rehab! Many years later it will pay you back.

I wear knee braces now, hard to get use to, but worth it. When I see some of the scrapes/scratches on my braces and I have no idea when or where they came from, other than get-offs, I know they're doing there job.

Rehab, Rehab, Rehab!
LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Metalefty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 am

This is one of the rare times I didn't wear my braces and one of the extreme rare times I didn't wear my GoPro, it could have been some good footage.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby capt.licorice » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 am

Here is hoping for a speedy recovery!
capt.licorice

Postby ks9mm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 am

heal fast!!
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)