Tibial Plateau Fracture

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture

Postby Johnno » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:14 am

All the best mate, that was pretty horrific to read.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Coloradoenduro » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Metalefty,
That's terrible. Hang in there and don't rush getting back on the bike. It's going to be difficult with spring coming (at least to the western slope) but please be patient with the rehab.
2016 300RR - Sold
2021 300 Xtrainer
Coloradoenduro

Postby Angustoyou » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Nasty stuff, glad you're on the mend now. Look after yourself, I know you hear lots of stories about people ignoring medical advice and pushing themselves far harder, but for the vast majority of problems, expert advice is best followed. Whatever they do tell you to do, try to find out why it's the case, and you can make a more informed decision on how hard you go at it. The magic words are "you can't do too much of...."

Someone else posted on the benefits of rehab, rehab, rehab, and he's spot on. Told me to wiggle my fingers as much as I could from day one after my wrist fusion, when I went back 3 weeks later for the cast off, bumped into someone elsevwho had the same op as me on the same day. They could barely move their fingers, I shook the surgeons hand with my bad one, and could form a fist and grip. 6 months on, and this is me.

FB_IMG_1489875451781.jpg
FB_IMG_1489875451781.jpg (157.29 KiB) Viewed 13458 times

Keep your spirits up, some can never get back on a bike, you'll be fine, just some chill time.
Angustoyou

Postby Metalefty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Thnx guys, I know what you mean by taking my time healing which I may have to do whether I like it or not. I've met my $5k deductable and my top end needs done, so I've been paying doc bills and not saving much for parts, so I may not be riding for a little while anyways but at least I can get hurt and use the hospital as much as I need till the end of the year. ;)
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Metalefty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Well, it's been a long time but I finally got my first ride in since my accident way back on Jan. 2nd. There's still some pain in the knee and it feels a little weak and fragile, for my first ride I just wanted to take it easy in the local adobe hills where it would be mellow but since it's now to hot to ride there we had to go up in elevation to a comfy high 60's high mountain single track with rock gardens and log hops. I was incredibly rusty at first and ran at a very beginner like pace for the first couple hours, then I started picking up the pace even hoping over a couple foot and a half high fallen logs. I did find that when I hit small jumps that it irritated the pain in my knee so I kept it on the ground, I also sat more than I usually do and now my butt is chaffed a little. About the last hour of riding I was starting to feel it come back but I wasn't going to push it, I'm so glad to be back on the bike and riding again, I can now feel my sanity coming back...lol. Oh... and the first ride on a fresh topend. :D
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby nevermind » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 am

Glad to see you're back out there! I'm still riding cautiously 2 years after getting my shoulder replaced. I could probably wick it up to full race pace but the specter of all that time spent in painful recovery keeps my riding more sane.
Last edited by nevermind on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevermind

Postby CAJW » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Crashing sucks. A SPOT GPS locator is a great way to be "found" if you can't self extricate after a getoff. Hope you're young, you'll heal faster and you can be a weatherman later on in life when your bones ache! If you're already old (like me) you can look forward to double the recovery time.
2014 520RS
CAJW

Postby Metalefty » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:57 pm

I'll be 50 in Sept. and this is the 6th month of recovery, even though I went for my first ride last week I'm still feeling the affects. It really wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the staph infection, but right now I'm just trying to make it through each day with minimal pain and limping. I'm looking forward to riding again and getting back up to speed, though I'm not sure how many more of these "serious" injuries my wife is going to let me have before she starts frowning on my riding, if that ever happens it looks like side x sides for me, which isn't a bad thing, I've spent a fair amount of time in them and rather enjoy them, I just can't say goodbye to two wheels so easily since they've been a big part of my life since I was 14.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Metalefty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am

Well this just gets more fun... on Tuesday I'm unloading some crates out of my trailer when I step off the ramp and my left ankle buckles in the deep loose stones in the driveway which sends me down on my right knee which is the one I've been dealing with for the last 6 months and then on my right elbow, since it was 95 degrees out the rocks and stones were nice and hot to lay on, it took about 20 minutes to scoot over to and up the ramp into the shade. I was so furious that I thought I had broken my ankle, my elbow and re-injured my knee, I then called a friend who was at work 10 minutes away and he was able to come out and help me into the house. After about a half an hour of assessing the damage I decided to have him drive me to the ER, my ankle was swelling up, the knee had an area beside my knee cap that was swelling up and my elbow was giving me a sharp pain when I was trying to push myself up out of a chair (or off the ground). After a few hours at the ER the doc said my elbow didn't need an x-ray and my ankle and knee x-rays came back with nothing broken. Now it's just ice and elevation and maybe waiting two weeks to ride. I'm thinking of wearing my riding boots and knee braces everywhere all the time for the rest of my life, that should do it... :)

P.S. wife is not amused... :(
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Well dammit! Best of luck again, luckily nothing broken. Go easy and be careful, it's really OK to slow down, no need to rush anything.
Johnny Depp

PreviousNext

Return to Injury & Recovery