tendon torn from rotator cuff

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Re: tendon torn from rotator cuff

Postby canamfan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:06 am

Well it's been a little over 7 months now, just rode for the first time last week. I just rode some easy trails, didn't push it. I just wanted to see what it felt like. I'm very apprehensive about hurting myself again. This was my first major injury, at 59 years old and just back to work in October, I don't want to do anything stupid. My shoulder feels really good, better then the other one actually. The doc says now is when you'll get hurt because you feel so good. He say's it takes a full year before it's completely healed, so don't push it to hard. I guess I'll just keep exercising and light riding. Any one have any experience with this? I would like to ride harescrambles this spring.
canamfan

Postby katoom400 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 pm

canamfan wrote:Well it's been a little over 7 months now, just rode for the first time last week. I just rode some easy trails, didn't push it. I just wanted to see what it felt like. I'm very apprehensive about hurting myself again. This was my first major injury, at 59 years old and just back to work in October, I don't want to do anything stupid. My shoulder feels really good, better then the other one actually. The doc says now is when you'll get hurt because you feel so good. He say's it takes a full year before it's completely healed, so don't push it to hard. I guess I'll just keep exercising and light riding. Any one have any experience with this? I would like to ride harescrambles this spring.

congrats on the first ride....it's a bit scary for sure, but confidence will come in time.

Doc told me I could ride at the 6 month mark, but try to be careful till the end of the year. At 7 months it's not that fragile, you just want to avoid loading the cuff suddenly. First couple of rides if I had to fall I would tuck the arm in just take the shot...didn't want it extended out for leverage on the tendon.
katoom400

Postby Darkside » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 am

welcome back
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby canamfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. Practicing my slow riding, balancing skills, can't get hurt doing that can I ? :D
canamfan

Postby njbill » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 pm

In 2012, I had two surgeries to repair the same rotator cuff tear. Before the surgery, I thought my riding days were either limited or over. I was 49 years old. Now at age 54, I feel so much better that I just purchased an Xtrainer to go with my 690 Enduro and Super Tenere. Do the PT and you should be good as new. Because of the severity of my tear, it took a full year for me to be back to 100%. Feel better!
2016 Beta 390 RR
2013 Yamaha WR250R
njbill

Postby canamfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks I'm at ten months now and feeling more confident. This warmer weather has got my fever to ride up. I've been cleaning up trails before the poison ivy and ticks come out.
canamfan

Previous

Return to Injury & Recovery