tendon torn from rotator cuff

Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

tendon torn from rotator cuff

Postby canamfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I posted this on the xtrainer group thought I'd inquire here. I caught my front fork on a vine while in second gear and did an abrupt halt around 2 months ago. When I caught that vine I felt my left shoulder pop and had immediate pain but it got a little better over the next few days and I thought it would just go away. So 2 months later I go in for an MRI because I'm tired of the popping and pain when I move my shoulder to certain positions and my hand going numb. So they say the tendon is completely torn from the bone and retracted, I suppose from waiting so long. They didn't explain much, is this the same as a rotator cuff tear? I go see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning, so I'll see whats up from him. I suppose surgery?
canamfan

Re: tendon torn from rotator cuff

Postby Darkside » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:46 pm

yep. surgery is in your future. don't let them cut your bicep tendon. they sometimes do that. unfortunately, you're in for a lot of pain and PT. you're looking at a long rehab time frame before you can ride again
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 am

canamfan wrote:I posted this on the xtrainer group thought I'd inquire here. I caught my front fork on a vine while in second gear and did an abrupt halt around 2 months ago. When I caught that vine I felt my left shoulder pop and had immediate pain but it got a little better over the next few days and I thought it would just go away. So 2 months later I go in for an MRI because I'm tired of the popping and pain when I move my shoulder to certain positions and my hand going numb. So they say the tendon is completely torn from the bone and retracted, I suppose from waiting so long. They didn't explain much, is this the same as a rotator cuff tear? I go see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning, so I'll see whats up from him. I suppose surgery?

I just threw up a little in my mouth :shock:

Get this stuff looked after people!
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby katoom400 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Darkside wrote:yep. surgery is in your future. don't let them cut your bicep tendon. they sometimes do that. unfortunately, you're in for a lot of pain and PT. you're looking at a long rehab time frame before you can ride again

Dont let stories like this scare you.

The rotator cuff is a group of 4 muscles that all attach to Humeral Head by tendons(all within close proximity of each other). of the four I only had 1 hanging in there completely, the others were either partial tears or completely torn and retracted.

Everyone heals different, and has different thresholds for pain...but I'm just about 4 months post op from a "Massive" rotator cuff tear, and it had been retracted for years, 6 bone anchors, Bicep tenodomy (cut), labrum tears and acromium decompression....it was a lot of work, like 3hrs of surgery. They tell me there is little to no functional difference when they cut the bicep, but often a huge decrease in pain symptoms....sometimes the bicep can get what the call "Popeye'd" (a little bulge) but so far mine looks just like the other side. keep in mind they are just talking about the long head of the bicep, not the complete bicep.

I read many stories about long and painful recoveries, and I am happy to say that I have not experienced that...by no means was it easy, but no where near what I had read about....MY PT says I'm months ahead of where I should be already! I can say that I feel ready to ride at this point....but I won't until the doc clears me to do so, but so far I'm feeling great and getting stronger every day and I'm no spring chicken at 48.

I will say that I know people that did too much too soon and had problems, but be smart and you should be good.

Make sure you see a GOOD doc! and don't worry 2 months is not that long as far as being repairable!
katoom400

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:14 pm

They tell me there is little to no functional difference when they cut the bicep, but often a huge decrease in pain symptoms....sometimes the bicep can get what the call "Popeye'd" (a little bulge) but so far mine looks just like the other side. keep in mind they are just talking about the long head of the bicep, not the complete bicep.

You're crazy if you believe that BS. they are severing part of your functioning muscle from the tendon. How can that be anything but bad. My female friend had that happen to her. when her bicep was oddly shaped "popeye" she questioned the doctor who's response was that women aren't as active and didn't need it. She had to get a lawyer and threaten malpractice. Finally found another doctor to reattach her bicep muscle but the other doctor was reluctant to testify that the first doctor had not acted in her best interest. My brother had a non riding injury and had to have his rotator cuff repaired. It took him almost a year of PT before he was cleared to return to work as a fireman. I don't know what you consider as a short time of rehab but you're 4 months into it and probably another 4 before you're cleared to do anything as strenuous as dirt bike riding. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just not sugar coating it either.
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby katoom400 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Darkside wrote:
They tell me there is little to no functional difference when they cut the bicep, but often a huge decrease in pain symptoms....sometimes the bicep can get what the call "Popeye'd" (a little bulge) but so far mine looks just like the other side. keep in mind they are just talking about the long head of the bicep, not the complete bicep.

You're crazy if you believe that BS. they are severing part of your functioning muscle from the tendon. How can that be anything but bad. My female friend had that happen to her. when her bicep was oddly shaped "popeye" she questioned the doctor who's response was that women aren't as active and didn't need it. She had to get a lawyer and threaten malpractice. Finally found another doctor to reattach her bicep muscle but the other doctor was reluctant to testify that the first doctor had not acted in her best interest. My brother had a non riding injury and had to have his rotator cuff repaired. It took him almost a year of PT before he was cleared to return to work as a fireman. I don't know what you consider as a short time of rehab but you're 4 months into it and probably another 4 before you're cleared to do anything as strenuous as dirt bike riding. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just not sugar coating it either.

well I must be crazy if you say so....but I'll tell you this, my operated arm bicep feels and looks just as good as my non operated arm and I see no reason why it would not continue to feel this good, unless I do something stupid to re injure it.

I'm not sugar coating anything, and my Dr. (The surgeon for the NY Jets) and the guy I went to before him (The surgeon for the NY Giants) are very reputable, they were both in agreement on the bicep.

now who knows....maybe my bicep was messed up along with the rotator cuff for years so I'll never miss it....I'm just telling you the surgeon said it's a non issue, and so far he's right!

all to often people turn to the internet to complain about something, and no so much when it goes well. I'm just relating my experience so far at 4 months in. I guess that could change, but so far so good. YMMV.

There are a lot of variables that come into play:

how good is the tissue they are repairing (the older the injury the worse it is)
smoker/non smoker
skill of the surgeon
patient following guidelines to the T
Physical Therapist pushing you...but not too far.
how well you heal and your tolerance for pain (if you are the kind that stays on the narcotics for a while it will take longer to heal)

Pick your surgeon wisely!
katoom400

Postby canamfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I saw the orthopedic surgeon today. one tendon is separated from the cuff, and retracted about 2cm. He said that was not unusual (for the tendon to be retracted) I asked him how long he went to school. He said 14 years after high school and one year was spent entirely on learning to repair shoulder injuries. This is his specialty (shoulder injuries) He does them every week. A nurse at the local clinic recommended him, as she had a family members knee repair done by him. He told me he would do this arthroscopically, through several incisions, probably take an hour. Same day surgery. He also said they don't cut the bicep muscle but do have to pass through it to access this tendon. I asked how do you go thru this muscle, he said they make a small incision that follows the grain of the muscle not across the muscle. It sounds like they estimate 4 months to 6 months to go back to work, as I do heavy lifting. He also said if your not serious about doing the PT then don't have the surgery, because the PT is very important in strengthening the muscles that surround the shoulder. It will help keep you from having a repeat. Also the first couple of weeks are important in that you don't stress that shoulder or it won't heal or maybe tear again. One thing I don't know what to think about is he said they could do a pain block right after the surgery, which would keep me pain free for around 24 hours. Don't know if I want to do that or just take pain pills.
canamfan

Postby katoom400 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:03 pm

canamfan wrote:I saw the orthopedic surgeon today. one tendon is separated from the cuff, and retracted about 2cm. He said that was not unusual (for the tendon to be retracted) I asked him how long he went to school. He said 14 years after high school and one year was spent entirely on learning to repair shoulder injuries. This is his specialty (shoulder injuries) He does them every week. A nurse at the local clinic recommended him, as she had a family members knee repair done by him. He told me he would do this arthroscopically, through several incisions, probably take an hour. Same day surgery. He also said they don't cut the bicep muscle but do have to pass through it to access this tendon. I asked how do you go thru this muscle, he said they make a small incision that follows the grain of the muscle not across the muscle. It sounds like they estimate 4 months to 6 months to go back to work, as I do heavy lifting. He also said if your not serious about doing the PT then don't have the surgery, because the PT is very important in strengthening the muscles that surround the shoulder. It will help keep you from having a repeat. Also the first couple of weeks are important in that you don't stress that shoulder or it won't heal or maybe tear again. One thing I don't know what to think about is he said they could do a pain block right after the surgery, which would keep me pain free for around 24 hours. Don't know if I want to do that or just take pain pills.

sounds like you've got a good guy!

trust me, You want the nerve block! but you will still need pain meds once the block starts to wear off. The block is awesome because when you come out of surgery there is no pain what so ever! I took the pain meds for a total of 3 days including tapering off them. The first few days are rough, but after that it get better quick. I would say I felt pretty normal at the 1 week mark. You will be in a sling for 4-6 weeks depending on the severity of the repair, you will hate the sling but it's a necessary evil to give the repair some time to "set up"

on the never block, start dosing yourself with the pills once the block starts to wear off (you start feeling your fingers), don't wait until you feel pain as you will not be able to catch up fast enough. I was told this and didn't listen. the result was not fun.

good luck to you and feel free to ask any questions!
katoom400

Postby canamfan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Five weeks since surgery, doing pretty good. PT is painful, :o hope it's worth it.
canamfan

Postby katoom400 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 pm

canamfan wrote:Five weeks since surgery, doing pretty good. PT is painful, :o hope it's worth it.

sounds like you are doing good, don't push too hard too soon. I've been riding for the past 3 weeks and it's feeling strong so far! slow and steady...it does get better!
katoom400

Next

Return to Injury & Recovery