Race Nutrition

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Re: Race Nutrition

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 pm

hawaiidirtrider

Postby OscarFox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Cactus_Flat wrote:Keep in mind hydration and nutrition start well before the day/week of a race. I try to maintain good hydration all the time, and will generally up that the week of a race or major activity. Summers here in AZ I'm always on it to make sure I'm in good shape for rides. I've also found a lot more stamina from just eating better. As of last August, the wife is basically a vegan and I don't eat a ton of meat these days either and when I do it's fish or chicken/turkey. Also cut out a lot of processed crap and added sugars and couldn't believe how much better I felt riding after doing that, better stamina and almost no cramping. I'll throw heed in the hyrdo for big rides and races and toss down a Gu before and once or twice during. Hammer endurolyte tablets are good for cramp prevention and also help to lower soreness the next day. Mustard or pickle juice for quick cramp relief.

Yea I've done pickle juice before, actually don't mind the taste. I've been eating clean for quite a while, so I believe I'm just missing a small part that's causing me to cramp. I don't suffer from lack of concentration or energy drain.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby OscarFox » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Race report:

Longest one of the season so far for me 80 miles total of desert racing. Felt way better throughout the day, and as I'm typing this I'm not nearly as sore as I've been in the past. I used a combination of GU hydration drink tabs in my water pack and dropped a few in my water on Saturday. Sunday morning before the race I had one of the hammer gel packs, and another when I came into the pits.

I also took in plenty of BCAA powder on Saturday. It wasn't real hot, but I'm happy with the progress.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby NJZoltan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm

OscarFox wrote:Curious what others do during long races, between 2-3hrs to prevent muscle cramping.

I'm in good shape, I don't believe it's conditioning or stamina. I tend to pass more people towards the middle to end of the race.

Preferably I'd like to stay away from the sugary, fake bullshit supplements.

I need that final piece dialed in. Maybe I'm just not drinking enough water pre-race?

Thanks

Hammer gel packs or the gu gel packs in between ride sessions/breaks. I take hydration tablets the night before and I drop some electrolyte fizz (hammer) into my hydration pack. That seems to keep me hydrated when I ride, enter endures or hare scrambles.
NJZoltan

Postby OscarFox » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:48 pm

NJZoltan wrote:
OscarFox wrote:Curious what others do during long races, between 2-3hrs to prevent muscle cramping.

I'm in good shape, I don't believe it's conditioning or stamina. I tend to pass more people towards the middle to end of the race.

Preferably I'd like to stay away from the sugary, fake bullshit supplements.

I need that final piece dialed in. Maybe I'm just not drinking enough water pre-race?

Thanks

Hammer gel packs or the gu gel packs in between ride sessions/breaks. I take hydration tablets the night before and I drop some electrolyte fizz (hammer) into my hydration pack. That seems to keep me hydrated when I ride, enter endures or hare scrambles.

Yea I found those hammer fizz tablets also. I dropped a few in my hydro pack for the race and in the water jug I drank the day before.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby alang » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Old post, but glad people discovered Hammer Nutrition products. Good stuf IMO.
alang

Postby OscarFox » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 am

alang wrote:Old post, but glad people discovered Hammer Nutrition products. Good stuf IMO.

Yup, still using them
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby mtdirtbag » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am

OscarFox wrote:
alang wrote:Old post, but glad people discovered Hammer Nutrition products. Good stuf IMO.

Yup, still using them

Less than 5 miles away from where I live.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby nikolakiss » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 am

if you are about to race , you should start a week earlier the preparation ... start with creatine and water ... midweek start carbo loading and electrolytes loading ...about saturday you will be about 2-4 kilos up , but ready for everything ...during the race use salt sticks with the water ... a bit of an overkill ,but is the right race prep
nikolakiss

Postby BassMan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm

After watching Austin Forkner down pixie sticks between motos at the last tripple crown, we bought a big bag and everyone on the team is going to try them Saturday. Figure bring a few of them and snap and pour into my mouth at 45 minute intervals.
BassMan

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Techniques & Training