250rr throttle, snatchy?

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

250rr throttle, snatchy?

Postby beta250rrowner » Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 am

Hello guys, I finally got my 250rr sorted out and had a day at my local MX track. Despite being a noob, I felt as though the bike was really snatchy off the bottom end.

My mixture was 50:1 and I know the manual says 60:1 which probably didn't help but would this cause such an issue? Or would I have to adjust the carburator? Perhaps the previous owner had it dialled in for what they want.

This is my riding video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hTfA6BSi0E

I was comparing it to this chap riding the same track on a KTM 300EXC and his throttle seems a lot smoother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBLKcYOJGP0

He's probably a better rider than I but it does seem that I was having to fight with my 250RR a lot of the time. I also felt that the ergonomics were a bit off for me as it was fitted with bar risers which made it feel as though the bars were too high for me to get my elbows properly up.
beta250rrowner

Re: 250rr throttle, snatchy?

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 pm

beta250rrowner wrote:Hello guys, I finally got my 250rr sorted out and had a day at my local MX track. Despite being a noob, I felt as though the bike was really snatchy off the bottom end.

My mixture was 50:1 and I know the manual says 60:1 which probably didn't help but would this cause such an issue? Or would I have to adjust the carburator? Perhaps the previous owner had it dialled in for what they want.

This is my riding video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hTfA6BSi0E

I was comparing it to this chap riding the same track on a KTM 300EXC and his throttle seems a lot smoother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBLKcYOJGP0

He's probably a better rider than I but it does seem that I was having to fight with my 250RR a lot of the time. I also felt that the ergonomics were a bit off for me as it was fitted with bar risers which made it feel as though the bars were too high for me to get my elbows properly up.

Looks like you might feel a whole lot better once you set up the bike for you. You have 3 different bar positions on the triple clamps. You can move your bars mor forward or back to start. You might look at the choice of tires and tire pressure. You can set your sag and adjust your suspension settings more toward your weight maybe.
You might want to get this great book that can more easily get you setup correctly. It’s from the motorbooks workshop collection of books. It’s called. Motocross & Offroad performance Handbook. It’s excellent and will be a great resource book. You might even find it at the library for free or buy a used one on ebay or amazon. I’ve had mine for decades and it answers pretty much what you areasking. Which I think is that you just want to set up your bike and be comfortable and ride yourbike way better. I don’t get what snatchy is though. Oh the book is written by Eric Gorr.

Oh and the other thing is.. Betas rip. They handle super well and have lots of power. Once you setup your bike you’ll see. All bikes of whatever brand should be setup for the rider to feel comfortable to enjoy.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm

hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 am

Another simple thing to try is to ride one gear higher than you are used to. Just try it.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby beta250rrowner » Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 am

Hey, thanks for the tips man. Yeah, in the later sessions I found myself riding most of the track in 3rd and just slipping the clutch around the tighter corners, but it seemed a bit outta control at times, not enough revs to adjust with.

I've looked at the handlebars and the clamps are set in the middle position. I have removed bar risers despite being nearly 6'2 and having long arms, I like the bars to be underneath me so I can get my elbows up in the correct position.

I think another problem is that I am getting a lot of rebound over jumps from the suspension, particularly from the rear. I need a way of finding out what suspension spring is, I think it might be too soft a spring.

The previous owner was an accomplished enduro rider so the suspension was probably set up specifically for him.
beta250rrowner

Postby aj_mariner » Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 am

Adjust your shock clickers to middle of range. Set your static sag to 35mm (roughly 10mm of spring compression) then get your race sag. If your race/rider sag is over 110mm, you need a stiffer spring.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm

hawaiidirtrider

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Familiarize yourself with the manual on the betausa support section.

https://www.betausa.com/content/support

I’m 6’1” and extra long arms too. I have suzuki / ktm bend a little higher bars and in the furthest forward position in the triple clamps . I like it but will go to the middle position in the triple clamps for bars to try. .. I periodically just change things up just to see if I like it better... can always go back to old setup. I got wider rear offset ktm moose racing pegs too. Hey but just try what makes sense for you. Really the eric gorr books are great and an awesome bang for your buck. Great setup tips that really make the bike more enjoyable...
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Darkside » Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 am

you can also play with the power valve to try to sort out the snatchyness. start by going half turn at a time
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Return to Riding Techniques & Training