Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & training

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Re: Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & traini

Postby T.Read » Mon May 25, 2015 8:23 am

I've been watching your videos for awhile now and I love them. Great info and entertaining on top of it.

I've always had trouble with wheelies. I have zero trouble getting them well enough to get over logs now, but I cannot seem to keep it going for any length of distance. It's not the rear brake covering I have issue with either, it's just getting to that balance point and modulating the throttle and clutch to keep it going and standing up. I get so jealous when I see people do it like it's nothing. Even on my trials bike I can't seem to get back far enough to keep the weight on the back to keep it going. Must practice more. I can barely do sit down wheelies from a dead stop because I can barely touch the ground when sitting that far back on the seat. Stand up or slowly rolling is about my only option.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Postby betajuice » Mon May 25, 2015 1:04 pm

for most of us they aren't easy. i had a head start because i did lots of them on the bicycle as a kid, then on the trail bikes as a teenager. so just took up where i left off when i started dirt riding in my 40s.

if you are aiming for longer ones, an incline helps heapes, and a bit of speed makes a big difference as the centrifugal force from the spinning front wheel keeps the bike centered. depending on your gearing 2nd or 3rd gear should work well. but as per the vid i'd strongly advise doing several hundred of those rear brake exercises first to make them instinctual... and keep getting higher and higher until you can sense where the balance point is and not be freaked out by it.

i had a mate who was mad keen to learn them at the age of 47 but could barely lift the front wheel in first gear, and said he'd never learn. but he went out every afternoon and within three months was ridiculously good, sitting on the balance point in top gear at 90km/h which was a bit crazy in our opinion. but whatever turns your crank. :mrgreen:

definitely useful for bigger logs...

Last edited by betajuice on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betajuice

Postby T.Read » Tue May 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Ha, that's crazy. See, I never could do wheelies well as a kid on a bicycle. I don't know why, but I could never pedal the front end up and keep it up. I also learned to ride a motorbike at 5yrs old before a bicycle, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I'll give the hundreds of rear brake exercises a chance again. I can do wheelies way better nowadays than I ever could as a kid or even 4-5 years ago when I started riding dirt again after being away for about 15 years. I just can't do it at will and stay going for as long as I want. And like you say in the video, I just want to be able to do it for the aspect of how much control it teaches you.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Postby GMP » Wed May 27, 2015 5:59 am

Is it easier to learn some of this on a trials bike first? I would think so because they are lighter and lower and easier to bail off of from standing if needed.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby betajuice » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 am

GMP wrote:Is it easier to learn some of this on a trials bike first? I would think so because they are lighter and lower and easier to bail off of from standing if needed.

interesting point, we were discussing this with chris birch the past two days on a training course he ran. he thinks most techniques are easier to learn on a trials bike first as it is much slower and lighter. but if you make a mistake a trials bike let's you know immediately because it is so light, whereas a dirt bike often just barges through with momentum if you stuff it up. so the trials bike will encourage you to get it right!
betajuice

Postby katoom400 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:08 am

I would love to get a trials bike, but I don't have an extra 4k right now, so gonna have make due with a enduro bike from a trials bike company! Plus it is probably helpfull if there are a few guys with them to train with.
katoom400

Postby GMP » Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 am

The problem I see is putting the Beta back together for a race after Cross Training fails. Plus my bike is just too stiff, its even a little stiff for just trail riding, I need it this way for versatility. Stock would have been on the money for this stuff. Cool yes but I like to race too for the change of terrain. I have a KX125 in the garage valved for my kid, with a trials tire, how would that be??
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby T.Read » Thu May 28, 2015 4:21 pm

I have a '97 Montesa 315. I paid $1200 for it, but I spent probably another 3 or 400 fixing all that was neglected. It would be pretty easy to find a decent modern trials bike for under $2000. My friend got a Gas Gas for about that and it's totally fine. If you're just using it for practice and the occasional trial, getting one for that is a no brainer.

I just got finished messing around on mine. Needed to drop the needle now that it's getting warm and humid again. Getting there with the wheelie practice. :lol: With the motor actually getting some air now, it made it a lot easier...especially in 3rd gear.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Postby GMP » Thu May 28, 2015 7:33 pm

The other thing is you can practice in the yard, driveway, street in front without a problem. That's a lot more potential practice.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

2 days of coaching with extreme enduro legend Chris Birch

Postby betajuice » Fri May 29, 2015 10:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vggqST3-BDw

Only two betas in this vid surrounded by a pile of pumpkins and assorted other bikes... for those who don't Chris Birch he was arguably the world's top extreme enduro rider around 2010 before he turned his hand to coaching.

Some of the best bits were just the basics on the first day, realising how our bike setup, body positioning and cornering have been letting us down for years. We all could feel the improvement in our riding almost straight away, and had less aches and pains than normal by the end due to better technique.

Chris is really good with the feedback too and can spot mistakes and give the right sort of fixes throughout the day. We are all keen to get the new skills engrained then get him back to see what else he can ram into our heads before we are too senile.

If anyone is interested check out Birchy's website here: http://chrisbirch.co.nz/home/

He's flown all over the world doing coaching so just get a few mates together and go for it.
betajuice

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Techniques & Training