Race Nutrition

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Race Nutrition

Postby OscarFox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Curious what others do during long races, between 2-3hrs to prevent muscle cramping.

I'm in good shape, I don't believe it's conditioning or stamina. I tend to pass more people towards the middle to end of the race.

Preferably I'd like to stay away from the sugary, fake bullshit supplements.

I need that final piece dialed in. Maybe I'm just not drinking enough water pre-race?

Thanks
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Re: Race Nutrition

Postby AZRickD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 pm

For endurance activities (1 to 2 hours), a broad-based electrolyte concoction is a must, not just more water (which will dilute your electrolytes).

I used to make my own (water, coconut water, lime, pinch of salt, etc). It worked okay. Now I use Hammer Nutrition (Heed, Perpetuem, Recoverite).

I also use Gu gel packs (rather than Hammer). The carbs get into me faster than OJ and/or fruit, and its branch chain amino acids (BCAA) act as a buffer and a separate protein/energy source (rather than your own muscle tissue).
AZRickD

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Good reminder.. i ran out of the electrolyte supplement drink mix.. forgit the name .. it was called endurance something.. anyway it was a pre and during and after orange mix. Some of our hare and houndd are super long. Last extreme enduro I finished was 7 hours long. Im a diabetic too so I make a mix of partial orange juice and ice and water plus the electrolyte mix. Guys suck down mustard packets too to help with cramping. The long races where the pit stops are hours in I put a second camelback water pack. I eat bananas the day before and morning. Seems to help. It helps to not eat much salty food. I notice swimming helps me because it helps with keeping me calm and controlling my breathing. Im out of shape and fat but just being calm and relaxed helps plenty. Most everyone is in better physical shape than I am but Im decent at being relaxed.I place sometimes and win sometimes and lose too but I regularly see guys that are way younger and more fit fall back and I pass them. If I ever actually got fit Id do way better. Im a heart patient too racing and riding on blood thinners. It’s more of a risk but I pull back on speed and just ride on cruise control and ride at the same speed the whole race except for enough for a kick at the end. Ive gone vegetarian since mid late last year.. tried vegan but settled on eating a little seafood and eggs sometimes. Im feeling better. Now the next test is to wean off sugar and no cream for my coffee.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Goatse » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:41 am

I just eat the Fizz tabs by Hammer Nutrition. They're like a big fizzy treat and I find it works better than throwing 1 or 2 in your water.

Just keep one somewhere you can reach mid race on a transfer section or something.
Goatse

Postby firffighter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am

Long tough Enduro or harescramble races can tax even those in elite condition. Guys try all kinds of products for cramping. I used to have an old article that said the old Enduro racers carried a warm can of coke a cola and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Perfect amount of sugar and carbs for those ISDE nasty qualifiers.

I've only had it happen to me once in a very long, 6 hour Enduro in 90+ degree weather. At last check point they handed out salt tablets because guys were struggling so badly. The salt tablets worked for me.
firffighter

Postby OscarFox » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for all your input. I was leaning towards some type of drop in tablet. I'll check some out and report back. Also planning on consuming a hefty amount of electrolytes the day before.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby nevermind » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 am

AZRickD wrote:For endurance activities (1 to 2 hours), a broad-based electrolyte concoction is a must, not just more water (which will dilute your electrolytes).

I used to make my own (water, coconut water, lime, pinch of salt, etc). It worked okay. Now I use Hammer Nutrition (Heed, Perpetuem, Recoverite).

I also use Gu gel packs (rather than Hammer). The carbs get into me faster than OJ and/or fruit, and its branch chain amino acids (BCAA) act as a buffer and a separate protein/energy source (rather than your own muscle tissue).

Ha! I've gone through a bazillion formulations and it's good to see someone else doing what i settled on late last year. I test my pre-race and race regimen by speed-cutting the lawn. I have right around 70 mins worth of mowing and that is long enough to see if the new mix will cause me to barf or set a new course record.
nevermind

Postby OscarFox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 pm

nevermind wrote:
AZRickD wrote:For endurance activities (1 to 2 hours), a broad-based electrolyte concoction is a must, not just more water (which will dilute your electrolytes).

Ha! I've gone through a bazillion formulations and it's good to see someone else doing what i settled on late last year. I test my pre-race and race regimen by speed-cutting the lawn. I have right around 70 mins worth of mowing and that is long enough to see if the new mix will cause me to barf or set a new course record.

Haha, that's genius
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby Cactus_Flat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Keep in mind hydration and nutrition start well before the day/week of a race. I try to maintain good hydration all the time, and will generally up that the week of a race or major activity. Summers here in AZ I'm always on it to make sure I'm in good shape for rides. I've also found a lot more stamina from just eating better. As of last August, the wife is basically a vegan and I don't eat a ton of meat these days either and when I do it's fish or chicken/turkey. Also cut out a lot of processed crap and added sugars and couldn't believe how much better I felt riding after doing that, better stamina and almost no cramping. I'll throw heed in the hyrdo for big rides and races and toss down a Gu before and once or twice during. Hammer endurolyte tablets are good for cramp prevention and also help to lower soreness the next day. Mustard or pickle juice for quick cramp relief.
Cactus_Flat

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:56 pm

On the trail The mustard packets actually work. I thought it was bs but Ive tried and Ive given other’s in the trails cramping and they said it helped aswell. Ive seen a mustard bottle get passed around after a hard ride and guys shoot a stream of mustard in their mouth s. The first time I saw it I was taken back a bit. Hey whatever works.
hawaiidirtrider

Next

Return to Riding Techniques & Training