Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & training

Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Re: Cross training - trials-based enduro techniques & traini

Postby Balkan boy » Sat May 30, 2015 2:25 am

Thanks for that one, Barry.
That looks like money and time well spent. I've read that Chris Birch also does one-on-one sessions.

I understand your position about filming his course, but there's nothing stoping you from passing on the knowledge that you now possess. (wink, wink)

Did Chris Birch talk much about reading the terrain while riding? I'm curious if the top guys do that differently. Also, does he holds the bars tight in that rocky section, or is he loose?
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby betajuice » Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm

chris has kindly said i can include footage of him in the training vids but as a courtesy i'm going to get him to vet them first. i just do this for the fun of it but it's his job so i'm hoping to pass on his tips in a way that encourages guys to do his courses and not just watch the vids. :mrgreen:

obviously chris isn't paying me in any way, just happy to support his work. but the coaching really paid off as most of us had read or watched vids about the stuff chris was talking about but he could spot how we were stuffing it all up... i think that's what made a massive difference. we'll be getting him out again in a few months once we've engrained the new knowledge!

betajuice

Postby ricoyam » Sat May 30, 2015 8:13 pm

Real trials riding is great for learning and maintaining basic skills and developing them. It also is great for learning how to read terrain and choosing lines. One thing it can do if you don't keep up with your regular riding is it can throw your high speed rhythm off.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby betajuice » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:43 pm

ricoyam wrote:... One thing it can do if you don't keep up with your regular riding is it can throw your high speed rhythm off.

i'd agree with that. i did the first round of our national endurocross series this year and guys are just slamming into logs at speed and i'm just lining up slowly trials-style like an old codger (which i am!).

but doesn't worry me as much of the reason we started the cross training was to bring our speed down but keep the challenge up after a year of nasty injuries for so many, and our increasingly brittle bones. :?

here's a bit of of footage from our latest ride. trying to build up to doing some vertical faces, but struggling with the basics still on tree stumps and logs. practice practice practice...

here's the vid: https://youtu.be/mgAXEAH4ilw

Last edited by betajuice on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betajuice

Postby T.Read » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Man, I wish Birch would come to Tennessee and do a school. Seems like a good dude and always been a fan.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Postby betajuice » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:47 pm

T.Read wrote:Man, I wish Birch would come to Tennessee and do a school. Seems like a good dude and always been a fan.

if you got a few guys together he probably would. :mrgreen:

another ride video: the long slow process of gettting all this chris birch coaching into our heads... this could take a while! his body positioning info was great for these climbs and descents... https://youtu.be/127cnl2Rx-4
betajuice

Postby betajuice » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:49 am

another cross training video below. we found this very long hill climb which is mostly rock slabs and some rocks and dirt thrown in. was great for putting a lot of the chris birch coaching into practice.

and i've said it before but must say it again... THE BETA RR300 IS AN AWESOME BIKE! i thought i'd skip all that messing around with the suzuki needles and just got a JD jetting kit, and if anything it's made that silky smooth power from low to mid range even sweeter. loving the italian princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgCGCGTMeFQ
betajuice

Postby Hammer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:54 am

betajuice wrote:another cross training video below. we found this very long hill climb which is mostly rock slabs and some rocks and dirt thrown in. was great for putting a lot of the chris birch coaching into practice.

and i've said it before but must say it again... THE BETA RR300 IS AN AWESOME BIKE! i thought i'd skip all that messing around with the suzuki needles and just got a JD jetting kit, and if anything it's made that silky smooth power from low to mid range even sweeter. loving the italian princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgCGCGTMeFQ

$10 NECJ and you would have had pure heaven. :D
Hammer

Postby GMP » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:00 am

+1, the man is right. I didn't bother for awhile because the bike ran clean, but the NECJ changed the character of the power in a very positive way. Problem with JD is your stuck with no fine adjustment options.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Sit down cornering technique: tips from Chris Birch!

Postby betajuice » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

i think the problem with the suzi needle is there's no definitive guide as yet to settings for various temperatures and altitudes. two mates of mine are still playing with theirs trying to get them right and it just seemed easier to go the JD kit and use their settings. not sure what you mean by a lack of fine tuning, their chart shows how to use either needle and the variety of jets to match all sorts of altitudes and temps?

anyway, some very good news! chris birch said it was fine to pass on much of what we learned about sit down cornering technique from the coaching session we did with him recently... how good is that? obviously he could have said no way but the guy is passionate about passing on information and doesn't mind if some of this is through videos.

https://youtu.be/K35ijnjdlHA

betajuice

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Techniques & Training