KYB PSF Seals?

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

KYB PSF Seals?

Postby andoman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:28 pm

My searching has confirmed that KYB seals fit the Sachs forks.
My question: Is anyone using the SKF KYB heavy duty PSF seals in their Sachs forks? Or in any non PSF fork for that matter?
Is it an experiment worth trying?
I think the PSF seals have an extra lip.
andoman

Re: KYB PSF Seals?

Postby celler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Using them in my 48 Zokes. Looked good at both 1st and 2nd oil change

Sorry responded too fast - I have used the bushings by skf
Last edited by celler on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celler

Postby andoman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 pm

Sweet!
andoman

Postby 454X » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Whats a PSF seal?
2014 BETA 300RR W/36MM LECTRON.
2012 HUSQVARNA CR165WB W/36MM LECTRON.
454X

Postby andoman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Pneumatic Spring Fork.
IE: Air Fork
The '13-14 CRF450R and KX450F use a KYB twin chamber fork without a spring.
The seals are more robust to handle the higher operating pressure.
andoman

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:11 am

Wish I would have thought about that. Just changed a set of SKF seals in my KYB SSS forks. The SKF stuff is good, but the low stiction design seems to weep oil and build air pressure more than I'd like. I'll try these next for sure, assuming they fit the SSS tubes, which they should.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Jakobi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 am

Do you think the double lip would result in a notable increase in stiction though?

I find the OEM KYB seals are a good balance between performance and longevity, although I currently have my KYB SSS pulled down to replace a seal too. I have both KYB and SKF seals here so will go SKF now, and then in future probably go KYB seals and SKF wipers.
Jakobi

Postby twowheels » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:00 am

GMP wrote:Wish I would have thought about that. Just changed a set of SKF seals in my KYB SSS forks. The SKF stuff is good, but the low stiction design seems to weep oil and build air pressure more than I'd like. I'll try these next for sure, assuming they fit the SSS tubes, which they should.

Maybe related a little to the SSS itself - just pulled down the hard coated Zokes on the 350 and they had no air build up after 8 hours.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:32 am

Well, see if the guys that are running them think they have more stiction. I think its always a compromise. I've had the SKFs weep on the Zokes and also on a set of Zoke 50s. I don't remember air buildup on the 48 Zokes either. Not really a big deal but if it can be eliminated then why not. KYB seals were weep free but they had sat in the forks since 2011 on a warehouse shelf so I figured change them. I had also thought of doing the KYB seal/SKF wiper combo. One thing for sure, with the SKF scrapers, no dirt at all gets to the seals, they are absolutely perfectly clean, and I've been through a couple mudders.

Steve made me think, and may be right about the air buildup but not to do with the the SSS fork itself. I do however have Motion Pro bleeders as the screws were a PIA with the FlexxBars, and don't completely trust that they stay closed. The caps always seem to have a lot of dust stuck to what is likely an oil film. I have ordered a set of Stealth Technologies stainless steel thumb screw type bleeders, nice stuff I have used in the past, no valve to leak. Could be two different minor issues that coincedentally appear to be from one cause. I'll let you guys know after this weekend's ride.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Jakobi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:38 pm

I noticed no to very little air buildup in the zokes. The KYB do tend to take on a bit over the duration of a ride in comparison, but in saying that the 30hrs or so I've put on these KYBs have all been on the stock seal (from a 13 model YZF).
Jakobi

Next

Return to Suspension