KYB PSF Seals?

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: KYB PSF Seals?

Postby Hyde » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 am

I've had KYB's with the green SKF seals in on my 14 all last year and my 15 most of this year, with no push button bleeders, I have never had air build up or leaking but do change oil at about 15 hours or four races.

I had some weeping on one fork at the last enduro a couple weeks ago but cleaned the seal and it stopped, it sent the forks off for a full service and JBI cones, and they where to the point where the needed bushings also but they had a year and a half on them .

I suspect allot of peoples harsh forks and air build up center around the push button bleeders, I know mine did, those ST bleeders look like the trick.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby GMP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:01 am

Yeah, I think you might be right, maybe a combo of too much pressure from air buildup and light seal tension that is normally not an issue. This is a very slight buildup of oil over the course of a ride, not enough to drip. Those cheap MP speed bleeder button valves are probably made in China by the thousands, all over Ebay/Amazon under different names. ST Bleeders should be here today I'll keep you posted.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ballisticexchris » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:19 pm

deleted
Last edited by ballisticexchris on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballisticexchris

Postby twowheels » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:24 pm

ballisticexchris wrote:
GMP wrote:Yeah, I think you might be right, maybe a combo of too much pressure from air buildup and light seal tension that is normally not an issue. This is a very slight buildup of oil over the course of a ride, not enough to drip. Those cheap MP speed bleeder button valves are probably made in China by the thousands, all over Ebay/Amazon under different names. ST Bleeders should be here today I'll keep you posted.

Hey there Glen I hate to break the news to you but the ST fork bleeders are the ones that just took a crap on my forks. Good news is they lasted over 3 seasons. I put the cheap MP Micro Bleeders on my KTM and swapped my 2 year old KTM Hard Parts bleeders to the Beta. These have been working flawless for over 2 seasons.

The KTM hard part bleeders have been upgraded to a lower profile than what I have.

The SKF low friction seals have been working great for me with no leaks. I just wish they made the mud scrapers for the 45mm forks. Never heard of the PSF seals until this thread. I wonder since they are for a pneumatic fork if there is a lot more friction?

Not STR, ST. They're a little thumb screw that you can use without tools, not a push-button bleeder like the others.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:25 pm

Steve is correct, only way these can fail is if you forget to snug it down. It's nice stainless so very unlikely to break it off like the alloy button ones. They have a small hole cross drilled to enhance bleed, not just a solid thumbscrew. They come with two sets of orings, the smaller ones are for the KYBs. The old garage push test shows perfect operation. See how they influence air buildup Sunday. I was given a set of these years ago for the Zoke 45s((M4), they worked perfect for years, just forgot the name of the mfg., and Googling "fork bleeders" brings endless pages of the push button stuff. I have pics on the bike but I guess my upload limit has been reached, thought it was a board thing but guess not.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ballisticexchris » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:14 am

deleted
Last edited by ballisticexchris on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballisticexchris

Postby GMP » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Well, got back a little while ago from a good rocky ride that gave the forks a workout. New SKF seals/ wipers, ST bleeders. After the forks warmed to the ambient temp from the cool garage, I bleed some air as was expected. After that, nothing. Nothing at all on several tries. Also, no weeping from the new SKF seals. So, I'd say for sure the MP bleeders were leaking. Effect on the weeping seals is questionable. If things stay dry then I can assume there was an effect from a lot of air buildup.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Previous

Return to Suspension