Gear shifter

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Re: Gear shifter

Postby GMP » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Picked up an IMS steel shifter for a Honda CR250R. After the powder coat was removed from the splines, it was a perfect fit on the shaft. A couple tweaks and it was tucked in nicely to the case. Only problem is it's too long, about 10mm longer than stock. My son might like it with his size 13s but for me no way. Being its steel, I might cut and reweld it to my liking. $26 old school part, but the tips never get sloppy and they can be bent back on the trail without breaking if needed.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ricoyam » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Update!
I went for an after work dinner road ride with friends last night. My friends from Hammerhead went too so I revisited the shifter thing with Wes, their tech and design guy. He talked to the Beta distributor and you guys that said the Honda is the same are correct. The shifter I was given must have been mis-produced, I was wrong. The spline is the same.
That said the RS still requires the deeper hook to get around the countershaft sprocket/chain. The RS uses a 15 tooth sprocket and the other 4Ts may as well.

Sorry for any aggravation I may have caused. Wes had told me the spline count was different and the diameter a bit different and I just took him for his word and the fact the one they gave me wouldn't go on.

On the upside we rode out to the coast where it was a bit cold and overcast but had a great ride out and a good dinner at the Highway 1 Brewery. On the way home there was a real eye opener in the way of a deer, fresh, carcass right in the middle of our lane. Luckily it wasn't pitch dark yet and the leader had some supplemental lighting.
Moto Italia bellisima, my main road bike is a Ducati, secondary is a Bimota.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 pm

twowheels wrote:
redbone477 wrote:Having a little trouble finding a happy spot for the shifter. The way it came stock it's a little high, moved it down to the next notch it's a little to low. I wear size 13 boot just for info. Is any body else having this issue? What's the fix? Is there something after market? Thanks for any info.

A hydraulic press will do the trick, just go slow, use rounded supports, and don't go crazy on how much you bend it.

As an aside the tip on my original/100hr shifter is getting slightly loose, so I will be in the machine shop shortly to render a new one. Once a stock pivot tip is done offsets should be easy, both taller and longer or shorter.

Did you ever sort this Twowheels ? Mines driving me nuts. I have two of Hondas both are the same length as std ggrrrr Or do you know of one that will defiantly fit from another model ?
Marty Moose

Postby Johnno » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Size 13 and you moved the lever DOWN?

I wear 11 -12 and have always moved the lever up on every bike. The Beta, I left it standard and it was almost good but recently lifted it one notch on the spline.
Loose...
Johnno

Previous

Return to Chassis & Body